Calming the Storm at Sea (Mk 4:36a)

I was doing Lectio Divina with today’s gospel reading (Mk 4:35-41) and the above passage jumped out at me: “…they took him with them in the boat just as he was”. In the context of this passage, what does this mean? Is Jesus calling on me to increase my trust in him?

I never noticed that phrase “just as he was” before. Thanks for pointing that out- I’m curious now. I’m sorry I don’t have any commentary but look forward to hearing others comments on it.

Cornelius À Lapide writes this:

"Ver. 36. As He was in the ship. The disciples took up Christ upon the deep sea, that they might cross over it with Him; Christ, I say, as He was in the ship, namely, sitting and teaching the people standing on the shore. This is plain from ver. 1, for afterwards it appears that He changed His position, sleeping in the ship. It marks the ready obedience of the disciples, and in turn Christ’s facile accommodation of Himself to their promptitude, that He might escape the tumult of the thronging multitude. The Syriac translates, when He was in the ship; the Arabic, they took Him up in the ship.

And there were other ships with Him. It happened by the counsel of God that the many persons who were carried in those ships should be spectators and witnesses of the miracle very shortly to be wrought by Christ, namely, the appeasing the tempest."

That’s one take on it. St. Thomas has also compiled some good commentaries:

catecheticsonline.com/CatenaAurea-Mark4.php

The meaning is somewhat uncertain. Scholars suggest that “as he was” probably implies that Jesus didn’t leave the boat – in other words, after the apostles dismissed the crowd, they took Jesus away immediately (don’t pass go, don’t collect $200…)!

“as he was” … and just what was he? Tired and hungry like anyone would be teaching all day.

Jesus ministered all one day, then prayed most of the night. The disciples and people found Him praying in the morning and because of the crowds He did not get away to preach to other towns, but stayed to preach this time from the boat and in the evening they don’t go back for anything (food, clothes, purse, etc.), but depart to cross the sea. Jesus asleep, is typical of Jonah in the boat and later Jesus dead in His tomb.

Yes BUT not just “you”.:

ALL of us:thumbsup:

"Oh ye of LITTLE FAITH":blush:

Matthew 6:30
And if the grass of the field, which is today, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, God doth so clothe: how much more you, O ye of little faith?

Matthew 8:26
And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful,** O ye of little faith? **Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm

** Matthew 14:31**
And immediately Jesus stretching forth his hand took hold of him, and said to him:** O thou of little faith,** why didst thou doubt?

** Matthew 16:8**
And Jesus knowing it, said: Why do you think within yourselves, O ye of little faith, for that you have no bread

Jesus uses the Apostles here to make the point that in FOLLOWING there example; that we are ONLY to do so when it is for our Spiritual benefit:)

God Bless you,
Patrick

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.