Calvinism vs Arminianism

Does the Catholic Church compare more to Calvinism or Arminianism?

Having been both (I am currently a full, 5 point Calvinist), I would say that the Catholic Church represents the Arminian doctrine very well.

[quote="Catholic4Jesus, post:1, topic:318866"]

[/quote]

My understanding is that it has more in common with Arminianism, but the Jansenist heresy is more like Calvinism.

[quote="Catholic4Jesus, post:1, topic:318866"]

[/quote]

In actuality, Catholicism is worlds apart from either of those. It's like life on Earth versus life on Mars. Calvinism and Arminianism are thoroughly Pelagian, principally due to their fundamental rejection of a Personal relationship with Jesus.

Fortunately, God can graciously overlook such ignorance and see many of them are doing their best to honor him, and so consider them Christian in virtue of a valid Baptism and implicit acceptance of Catholic Faith.

I believe it was Marcus Grodi who said there is room for elements of either in the Church, and some lean one way or another, so that would hardly make them “worlds apart.”

catholic.com/quickquestions/a-protestant-friend-claims-that-the-catholic-church-is-arminian-rather-than-calvinist

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.