Camino de Santiago!

I’ll be walking the Camino de Santiago in July, and I was wondering if anyone has walked at least part of it, and if there are any suggestions – for preparation, for packing, etc., etc.

I’ve seen “The Way,” and I gleamed some suggestions from it.

Many thanks. :smiley:

No, but good for you!! I hope to walk at least part of it someday.

I’ve walked the last segment (17 mi.) from S. Irene to the Cathedral in Santiago.

Get a good walking stick/staff. It really helps in shifting your body up and down the hills.

Be sure the shoes you wear are well “broken in” before you start the walk!

Watch out for bikes coming up from behind!!

And keep your mind open for spiritual insights along the way.

Bon voyage and ICXC NIKA

A lady from our church went in 2010 for her 50th birthday! She gave a presentation to our women’s faith group (Wings: Women in God’s Spirit) ~ She and some friends did the 500 mile trek ;( and had a life changing experience. The slide presentation was amazing and there are so many beautiful areas along the Camino. I asked how they all carry their money and she said there were ATM’s all along the Camino. Ha! Some of the most memorable moments for her were meeting new friends and sharing meals with other Pilgrims.
I was blessed to do the prayer service for her presentation. In preparation and for better understanding WHAT the Camino, or Way of St. James actually was and is, I ordered (Amazon) a book called “Hiking the Camino: 500 Miles with Jesus” written by a Franciscan priest.

Here is a description from Amazon: You might reasonably wonder why anyone would shoulder a heavy backpack, grab a walking stick and hike across Spain. Whatever happened to planes, trains and automobiles? But Father Dave Pivonka knew that the Camino the ancient pilgrim path to the tomb of Saint James the Apostle in Santiago offered an opportunity to focus on God in the stripped-down environment typical of the religious journey known as a pilgrimage.

Father Dave takes you along with him, eager to show that God wants to take care of you whether or not you can see down the road or, if tired and sore, you re tempted to quit. His Camino hike holds real lessons for your own life s journey.

The music I used was “Quiet Places” (Probably hear excerpt on ITUNES) by Shannon Wexelberg.

I am envious of your upcoming Pilgrimage. My husband and I are near 70 and I would never be able to do the full trek. However, I understand that one is able to get a “certificate of completion” with only 100 kilometers. That would still take some preparation and I do hope you do some “training” for this journey. Being in your best shape would be helpful. Reading all about what to bring and the different types of preparations is a must. I know some people use “Sherpas” (look it up ;)) to carry their “stuff” and there are even tour companies that will take your stuff to the next lodging and prepare meals. My friend did it the old fashion way with hostel type accommodations. ;( It looked really crowded and probably not my idea of comfort.

Well, BUEN CAMINO and don’t forget your “Scallop Shell.”

For over 2 years, my husband has been working near the area where most pilgrims start their walk (the pilgrimage starts at your door, really), St. Jean Pieds de Port. That is the town where Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez filmed the start of their movie “The Way,” which is about the Camino. We were there in January which is not peregrino season! Thank goodness.

My husband wanted to do the walk, but we are 55 and although healthy, a walk of 500 miles would be a really big challenge for us. We would have to be in training for a long time. One of my big criticisms of the movie “The Way” was that the lead character just put on boots and started walking, and never seemed to experience any physical problems, even the most common, blisters on your feet! The hostels would not be my first choice of accommodations, but in some villages, there is little else, so if we ever do it, I’d just have to grin and bear it, turn it over as my suffering. :slight_smile:

You can do the walk in segments, which many people who live in France or Spain do. Of course for Americans, that would mean multiple trips to Europe, which adds to the expense and the need for time off from work. You can do it on bicycles, which I would consider. You can even do some of it on horseback! And, if you have the money, you can go the luxury route and have your luggage ported ahead and put into nice hotels by a tour service. These pilgrims are sometimes looked down upon as not really being true pilgrims, but in ages past, people of means did go on horseback or in carriages. A pilgrimage changes you no matter how you actually travel.

And indeed, you can walk the last 100 km and get your certificate. Or, you can bike that last 200 km. A lot of pilgrims do just that, so the last 200 km is the most crowded part of the trail.

It’s funny, but we had never heard of this pilgrimage before my husband started working in France. Suddenly, references to it started popping up everywhere, including the movie, “The Way.”

:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.