Camouflage chasuble?

commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_Navy_100303-N-9643W-008_Members_of_an_international_and_U.S._military_take_a_break_from_the_search_and_recovery_mission_at_the_Hotel_Montana_in_Port-au-Prince,_Haiti.jpg

commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_Navy_030202-M-5150A-010_Chaplain_Bill_Devine_from_Boston,_Mass.,_gives_U.S.Marine_Corporal_Joseph_Duarte_a_wafer_during_communion_services.jpg

My opinion on this one is kind of torn between “cool, a camouflage chasuble!” and “what does camo have anything to do with the Catholic faith, Or Christ”. Is there any liturgical regulation that would prevent this Priest from Saying mass in a camouflage chasuble?
However, these priests may be anglican or lutheran. I am not sure that they are catholic.

But an alternative to the ever-so-glamorous, but out-of-place camouflage would be an embroidered St. Micheal the archangel chasuble. Great idea for Military Chaplains.

Those chasubles are both green. Green is a liturgical color.

When the proper liturgical color is green, there is nothing to prevent the wearing of a green chasuble like these, notwithstanding that the pattern is unusual.

BTW, the captions of both photos indicate that these are Catholic Masses.

The posted descriptions of both clearly say “Catholic Mass” so I don’t know where the idea of Anglicans and Lutherans comes in.

Interesting, though, that both chasubles seem to be fiddlebacks. The first one is at an odd angle, and might not be camo. The second is clearly camo. If memory serves, the normal color scheme doesn’t apply to “Mass in the field” since it would be impossible for any chaplain to carry a full set. I was under the impression that white was the standard, but perhaps now it’s green? :confused:

Army chaplains have camoflauge vestments. They are required uniform colors. They are definitely allowed.

Those military chaplains are out there literally putting it on the line our troops. If they want to or need to wear matching camo Kevlar copes, so be it.

And did you know that the Archdiocese for the Military Services receives no funding from the United States government? Rather, the Archdiocese is solely funded by the generosity of its chaplains, men and women in uniform and private benefactors. Private benefactors. That means folks like us. Hint. Hint. :thumbsup:

As to these military chaplains, I was watching some WW2 films that showed many men going to confession before going into battle. It was quite a touching scene, seeing those brave men very reverently confessing their sins. Has anyone heard the story of the 3 chaplains who died together after their ship had been sunk? A Protestant minister, Catholic priest and a Jewish rabbai gave up their lifejackets to others and they were seen praying on deck together as the ship went down.

Odd albet, but yes, technicality, it may be use during ordinary time (or “after Pentecost” in the EF). I wouldn’t prefer it though. It seems cheapening to the liturgy.

But… These men do put their live on the line, so that others may spiritually live. (Deo Gratias!!) But if they have the chance, they might want to do a bit of an upgrade…

Actually, it was 4 chaplains: 2 ministers, a priest, and a rabbi on the USAT Dorchester in 1943 I believe. Interesting story, worth looking-up on the 'Net.

Did not know that, and i was in the military! That’s pretty messed up, I’ll be sure to look into how I can help.

I think in this instance, it’s just a matter of pleasing the troops. The camo is obviously not needed- or else those people in bright orange and blue are being foolish lol.

Do any governments fund the various Military Ordinariates? I don’t see why they should.

I served on Parish Councils in various military parishes in Canada and I know that whatever supplies we needed for the chapel were provided by the Military. Is it different in the US?

Shouldn’t military parishes be paying the cathedraticum to the Military Ordinariate just as civilian parishes pay it to their diocese?

I am a huge supporter of the Mil Arch, they do a lot for military and their families all over the world. They also leave behind their families & their “regular” parish communities. If you wish to contribute and are a govt employees, they do receive donations through the Combined Federal Campaign. They also have a website www.MilArch.org where you can make a donation. They also maintain all of our sacramental records, quite a task! , provide retreats, evangalization efforts, religious education, AND go to war to provide the sacraments for the troops, unarmed, I should add. You should hear the stories of Navy priests flying to various ships & stations to provide the Mass on Sundays. I dont know what we would do without them.

Now all he needs is a sniper rifle:rolleyes:

Here’s another photo of the priest from the second image. He seems to really get into his ministry. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Military_chaplain2.jpg

I think nows the time to say a quick prayer for all Catholic Military Chaplains…just a thought.

I think it’s fascinating that US military chaplains wear camouflaged fiddleback chasubles. The reason for the camouflage is obvious; not so much the fiddleback design. I suspect, however, it has to do with the fact that a fiddleback is more compact than a gothic or ample chasuble, and therefore packs and travels more lightly and easily.

Military chaplains are great. :thumbsup: I think the troops probably appreciate the camo - it’s like “school colors”.

And how I could have failed to mention the great organization Catholics in the Military? They are a wonderful group providing much needed support. Definitely worth a visit to their site.

Servant of God Vincent Capodanno, pray for us.

Awesome!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.