Camp Quest - Summer Camp for the Children of Atheists, "Freethinkers", Etc.

I have an acquaintance who sent her son to this camp this summer:

camp-quest.org/

It’s just funny how atheists insist that parents raising a child in a religious home is brainwashing but raising a child as an atheist is not. This camp is just as much about religious beliefs (in this case the worship of science and faith in Darwinism) as any other “religious” camp.

What is Camp Quest?

The purpose of Camp Quest is to provide children of freethinking parents a residential summer camp dedicated to improving the human condition through rational inquiry, critical and creative thinking, scientific method, self-respect, ethics, competency, democracy, free speech, and the separation of religion and government guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States.

More here: ohio.camp-quest.org/?content=info

Exactly which one of the above do you take issue with?

The fact that Atheists so often claim that those who ascribe to a religion raise their children in environments full of religious themes and references are in fact brainwashing them, but here we see the exact same thing happening on their end.

However a person decides to raise a child is brainwashing. That’s what parents are supposed to do. And as a parent in the United States of America, you get to decide how to brainwash your child.

I’m raising a 3 year old right now. And I hope that when she’s 18, that she is thoroughly brainwashed with both the ideal of a Loving Divinity and “rational inquiry, critical and creative thinking, scientific method, self-respect, ethics, competency, democracy, free speech, and the separation of religion and government guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States”.

So, there is nothing objectionable about the camp then, right?

The simple absence of any of thousands of gods makes it brainwashing.
They didn’t include Zeus. Brainwashing.
I went to the supermarket and they didn’t teach me about Ra. I was brainwashed.

:thumbsup:

It is an ideology, which is no different, in a sociological sense, than any other ideology. That is the observation of the OP, which has nothing to do with Zeus or Ra, other than, you provide an example of the particular cultural concepts found in the same ideology as the camp being discussed.

IMHO, the most ironically amusing part of the mission statement is “freethinking”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.