Camping!

Camping is one of my favorite pastimes, with family and friends alike. So I thought I'd start a thread where people can share stories, experiences, or give reviews of places to go.

There's a lot I could say here about my own experiences, but I'd rather open it up to other people to see where things go. :)

I sprained my ankle my first and last time camping, but I’m not actually opposed to doing it again. In fact who knows, it might come up when my fiance and I go on our honeymoon, we’re planning on going out west to some national parks!

Living in New England we are spoiled rotten. We have it all-mountains, lakes, the ocean.

I’m addicted to the camping lifestyle. Taking my dogs out there in the middle of the woods-it’s always wonderful.

This happened when I younger, not funny, but unique- My father and I where camping with my cousins and my uncle. My father and uncle told the three of us to go out and get “something to start a fire with”.

We came back with kindling, wood, etc. We where all 10-13ish-an age where boys can do-ahem-irresponsible things. When they eventually got the fire started, my cousins and I decided to see what else would burn…

It’s a good thing the tent was bolted down, because we went nuts! You’d be amazed how many things are flammable!

[quote="Rascalking, post:3, topic:187964"]
Living in New England we are spoiled rotten. We have it all-mountains, lakes, the ocean.

I'm addicted to the camping lifestyle. Taking my dogs out there in the middle of the woods-it's always wonderful.

This happened when I younger, not funny, but unique- My father and I where camping with my cousins and my uncle. My father and uncle told the three of us to go out and get "something to start a fire with".

We came back with kindling, wood, etc. We where all 10-13ish-an age where boys can do-ahem-irresponsible things. When they eventually got the fire started, my cousins and I decided to see what else would burn...

It's a good thing the tent was bolted down, because we went nuts! You'd be amazed how many things are flammable!

[/quote]

Oh man, good thing Smokey wasn't in your campsite. :D I love a big campfire. Smoke is a great way to ward off mosquitoes.

Oh yes. Yes, I love camping too. Though I like it much better in a Hotel these days where the ground is less hard :D

[quote="Havard, post:4, topic:187964"]
Oh man, good thing Smokey wasn't in your campsite. :D I love a big campfire. Smoke is a great way to ward off mosquitoes.

[/quote]

Yeah, Smokey wouldn't have been happy. Neither was the lady in the campsite over-her clothes where...nevermind. ;)

Edit: That sounds alot worse than I meant it! It was a joke! Nothing more! :blush:

Camping in the Shenandoah mountains is pretty fun. So is camping at the beach. I remember my first camping trip was to a beach. I got lost in a forest near the beach and I got to see a water snake up close. If I had more time, I would go camping more often. It is very fun. I love the grilling of food, sleeping under the stars and camp fires.

This is really bad timming for this post. I am suffering cabin fever big time and spring can't come soon enough!!!:hypno: I love camping. My husband and I argue over which is better, tent or camper. I personally want a camper so all we have to do is load up and go. My husband on the other hand says tenting is better and feels more like camping. BTW, I have waaaayyyy more camping experience than he and have survived the "romance" of a tent; give me the camper!!!!

One year my parents took us to Munising in Michigan's UP (highly recommend this area BTW) we pitched camp and left to sightsee. The weather was perfectly fine while we were out, back at camp was another story.. We go back pretty late and everything was soaked. Our sleeping bags were floating, the tent had partially collapsed. My dad and I found a laundrymat and practically begged the guy who was closing up for the night to let us in to dry the sleeping bags. He did give in. It was a long night, but that was the only problem we had for the rest of the trip.

one more. It was mid June 2004 my parents and I took my grandma camping up by Sault Ste Marie. When my parents and I left to get grandma and them proceed north, it was hot, hot, hot. Of course being summer we packed summer clothes and light jackets. We got to the Sault and the evening was getting pretty chilly but not bad. My grandma had some issues (she had mild dementia, but was really bad for whatever reason that weekend). We camped for 2 nights and finally decided to call it quits. It was cold and grandma had kept us up the last 2 nights. We took her back to Marinette and stayed in a hotel. We found out later that night on the news that it was the first time in over 100 years that Sault Ste Marie had fallen below freezing in mid June.:bigyikes:. That explained a lot. Sadly though, 3 days later grandma died suddenly and that was probably why she was so difficult that weekend. (before we took her home we took her to grandpa's grave and she kept saying her next move was going to be next to him. :confused:)

Crazzeto: FYI..... BOOK EARLY if you are thinking of camping in any of western national parks, they book up fast and book up early.

The first time I went camping was in '06... we went to the Grand Canyon. Had a wonderful time except for a near-fatal case of heat exhaustion/heat stroke hiking back up from Indian Gardens on the Bright Angel Trail. As I said later on, I didn't buy the farm, but I sure checked out the property! My problem was, I was drinking a lot of water, but I should have been drinking Gatorade or have had some of DH's sunflower seeds--my electrolytes were all out of whack. Fortunately, DH and DS were able to help me back up to the rim. Good thing this was October, not the middle of summer. The only thing was that about 3/4 of a mile from the rim, this old fellow who was well past 60 came striding up past us, cheerfully saying, "Hey! Ya'll are doing okay! At your pace you'll reach the rim in about an hour. I'll be there in ten minutes!" Lucky for him I was too weak to do more than give him a glare or he'd been at the bottom of the canyon!

Second time, we were heading to Buckskin Mountain State Park on the Arizona/California border, right on the Colorado River. But first, we stopped at the Hualapai Mountains park near Kingman, AZ for a couple nights. The first night, as we were preparing dinner over the Coleman stove and a grill (our only other source of light being a lantern... this was in October of '07), my husband suddenly said in a low voice, "Babe, back slowly toward the tent NOW. Don't make any sudden moves." My first thought was "Bear!", my second thought was, "the potatoes are going to burn!" I whispered, "What is it?" DH said, "Skunk!" Okay, to heck with the potatoes! I started to back away when I said, "Honey, he's over here!" DH said, "Now he's over here! Boy, he moves fast!" That's when we realized we were SURROUNDED by a family of about 4 or 5 skunks! About then DS walked up saying, "When's dinner?" I said, "We have skunks!" He grabbed the lantern and ran into the tent and zipped it shut! Now we were in the dark with only the light from the Coleman and the grill! I hissed, "Get over here! You need to get the box of cookies from the van!" "For what?" came a muffled voice from inside the tent. "So I can throw them into the woods and lure the skunks away so we can get dinner done!" He popped his head out of the tent and said, indignantly, "Mom, those cookies have chocolate in them! You can't give them to the skunks! It's not good for them!" I said, "You know what, YOU'RE not good for me right now! Get me the cookies!" So he did, we tossed them as far into the woods as possible, then as the scurrying of little skunk feet disappeared into the woods, we quickly gathered up everything and ate our half-cooked meal inside the tent.

Then it started to rain.

Our last camping trip was last August... we stayed at a KOA (in a tent, but at a KOA) with electric, water and showers. That's about as rough as I can take it, and that's how we camp from now on!

YES!!! We are having a family camping trip in August and we have already booked our campsites and one cabin. We are staying at the KOA in Williams, AZ near the Grand Canyon and they said a lot of campgrounds are filling up fast! Don’t wait too long to make your reservations!

Oh so many stories...so little time!
I love camping so much...it is something my family enjoys...oh correction...my mother LOVES camping...my father, not so much...

One time he dropped us off at the campsite, helped us set up the tent and the fire...then drove three miles a way to the hotel...and returned in the morning with McDonalds for us...:)

My funniest story is about walking early one morning with my sister to the bathrooms to brush our teeth, etc. As we passed another campsite...large green pine cones began to fall quite rapidly in our direction...looking up through he branches we could not see much....but the pine cones came faster...we ran giggling to the bathroom followed by the chattering of an apparently annoyed squirrel... on the way bask we tried to be quiet, but as soon as we got within one foot of the tree...the missals were launched again....so funny...:D

I’ve spent a lot of time in that area, near Little Lake and the falls. Always a great time Camping, cooking fresh white fish, good stuff.

Since you guys are in the know,

I’m looking to keep any camping excursion cheap, so my idea is with tents etc rather than cabins and such. How does that figure in with the booking process?

[quote="crazzeto, post:13, topic:187964"]
Since you guys are in the know,

I'm looking to keep any camping excursion cheap, so my idea is with tents etc rather than cabins and such. How does that figure in with the booking process?

[/quote]

You usually need to call ahead and reserve your space. Some places need a down payment, some do not. You also need to ask about firewood, most places have very strict rules about bringing your own in. Most can be purchased at the Rangers cabin (usually where you check in)...:)
Have fun!!

AFAIK, KOA tent sites don’t fill up as fast as their RV sites and cabins… still it kind of depends on where and when you’re going. If it’s a busy holiday, it wouldn’t hurt to book now. Check out the KOA website for campgrounds. Yes, I love KOAs (I know some aren’t that great, but check for award winners) and the tent sites, even with electric and water are only about $35 a night… plus you get showers and bathrooms!

National Park campgrounds fill up VERY quickly during the peak summer seasons. If you have your dates set, better call as soon as possible. A deposit is required and all but a portion of it will be refunded in the event of cancellation. Check with the campgrounds on their policies.

And as for tent camping, take air mattresses… you will be glad you did! :thumbsup:

The first time I went camping was with my aunt, uncle, and my cousin. Until then, I didn't know that my allergies would flare up. So I was in the middle of Connecticut, and I couldn't breathe! :eek: So they were freaking out, and thankfully a person was nearby, or else I would have died.

But I still like camping and hiking though, I have outgrown my allergies. :thumbsup: I always keep Claritin on hand just in case.

[quote="CountrySinger, post:16, topic:187964"]
The first time I went camping was with my aunt, uncle, and my cousin. Until then, I didn't know that my allergies would flare up. So I was in the middle on Connecticut, and I couldn't breathe! :eek: So they were freaking out, and thankfully a person was nearby, or else I would have died.

But I still like camping and hiking though, I have outgrown my allergies. :thumbsup: I always keep Claritin on hand just in case.

[/quote]

Oh wow...not cool. :(
Good thing you have outgrown them....:D

We bought a travel trailer last summer and camped almost every weekend.Sometimes we camped at a KOA, and sometimes at a state park. They both have advantages and disadvantages. No fresh water hookups at the state campground, but it's prettier than the KOA. But then again the KOA has a swimming pool. So we alternate between the two. The only thing I don't like about camping is worrying about the weather. Not that I mind the rain, it's just worrying about what to do if a tornado comes our way. I can't see everybody fitting into the bathrooms, and we'd have to leave our dog, who is part of the family, in the trailer.

I have to keep Epipens because I’m extremely allergic to Honey Bees. I think my worst experience was when I went camping in Autumn during an Indian summer and because it was so warm out during the day, I didn’t bring a sleeping bag. The temperature dropped from the high 70’s to the low 30’s that night. I had to snuggle with, um, my male friends that night.:blush:

[quote="Havard, post:19, topic:187964"]
I have to keep Epipens because I'm extremely allergic to Honey Bees. I think my worst experience was when I went camping in Autumn during an Indian summer and because it was so warm out during the day, I didn't bring a sleeping bag. The temperature dropped from the high 70's to the low 30's that night. I had to snuggle with, um, my male friends that night.:blush:

[/quote]

Like in Cannibal: The Musical! :D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.