Campus Crusade for Christ

son joined at college. VERY small college with very small Catholic group. Can anyone tell me anything about CCC? Is this group okay for Catholics to join? Who joins it and is it affiliated with any denomination?

Thanks!:slight_smile:

I’ll share my experience with Campus Crusade for Christ and my view on them with you. I’m not 100% sure on this but I do believe that they are a non-denominational group that hands out pamphlets and try to engage individuals into conversations about Jesus and religion in general.

My roommate my freshman year of collage was Muslim and he was a very polite and friendly guy and so when he was approached by a Campus Crusader he didn’t blow them off like I did but actually talked with him and invited him over to our room that evening to discuss further.

Once they arrived it became obvious to me that my roommate did not want anything to do with this guy as he was pushy. Basically the conversation ended up him directly attacking my Muslim friend, and myself, for our personal beliefs. Not after ten minutes I kicked the guy out of my room because of the way he was acting towards us.

Maybe I just had a bad encounter but my view on them are pushy and bullying. If that is God’s work I don’t want anything to do with it.

Campus Crusade for Christ is an Evangelical organization, and as such has views contrary to those of the Catholic Church. Here is the beginning of their Statement of Faith:

The sole basis of our beliefs is the Bible, God’s infallible written Word, the 66 books of the Old and New Testaments. We believe that it was uniquely, verbally and fully inspired by the Holy Spirit and that it was written without error (inerrant) in the original manuscripts. It is the supreme and final authority in all matters on which it speaks.

We accept those areas of doctrinal teaching on which, historically, there has been general agreement among all true Christians. Because of the specialized calling of our movement, we desire to allow for freedom of conviction on other doctrinal matters, provided that any interpretation is based upon the Bible alone, and that no such interpretation shall become an issue which hinders the ministry to which God has called us.

ccci.org/about-us/statement-of-faith/index.htm

If there is NO Catholic group than it is better for him to hang around them than non-Christians in general. As long as you have catechized him well you have nothing to worry about. If he’s never read any books on apologetics then you will need to get him some, as they will challenge his faith at times.
But, hanging out with them is better than the potential alternatives of a newcomer to the University scene.
But make sure that he doesn’t evangelize according to their statements of faith as they are different than ours, but using the group to socialize and meet people or do community service should be fine.

I was in Campus Crusade for Christ in college, but of course I was an evangelical fundamentalist back then! I’m not sure how they would have reacted to a Catholic. :shrug:
My best guess is they will be friendly and accepting but some will secretly wonder if he is a “true” Christian because he is Catholic. But that is partly because most have never seen a Catholic before, much less one that was on fire for God and actually lives out the faith. If he is strong in the faith and isn’t swayed by protestant misconceptions, it could be a way to witness to them and to others on campus. My CCC was small, non-denominational and mostly about Christian fellowship, but other chapters are also big into community service.
College is a time when many people end up falling away from the faith even if they enter freshman year thinking it could never happen to them. It might be a good idea to join a non-denominational Christian group if the alternative is joining nothing at all.

CCC didn’t exist at my college, but from what I’ve heard it really depends on the chapter. Some chapters take the Statement of Faith very seriously. It also seems that some chapters focus heavily on evangelizing the “unsaved” while others focus on fellowship or community service. A group focusing on evangelization would probably be more likely to see Catholics as “customers” to be evangelized, not “co-workers” and equals to fellowship with.

As to whether it is worse for a Catholic to go to college and become an Evangelical Protestant vs. an agnostic or atheist…hmm, seems like a “pick your poison” situation here…

Totally agree with you here. I attending CCC for a couple of months in college. They are generally very friendly college based evangelical group. It would be better that your son hang out with them over a group of frat boys, atheist or relativist kids.

But like FIRST CALLED said, get your son a Catechism and some apologetics CD’s. Make sure he knows the difference between sola fide and faith + works and can reasonably defend his faith. The bible Christian society has a handful of excellent apologetic lectures. They are totally free: biblechristiansociety.com/
If he listens to 2-3 of these, I am sure he has absolutely NOTHING to worry about. In fact, if he diligently listens to the mp3’s then his new friends at CCC might get converted to the Catholic Faith!

My brother was converted from the Catholic faith he was raised in by CCC in the late 70’s and he is still a Baptist today, as are his children and grandson. (They are lovely Christian people who love Jesus and whom I love very much but it makes me sad that they have missed out on their Catholic heritage, and of course more importantly the Sacraments!)

So tell him to be careful. And be prepared to help him be a good apologist for the Catholic faith.

They are a fundamentalist, evangelical protestant group. They will attempt to convert him from Catholicism to evangelical protestantism.

No, it isn’t.

I had friends in Cru (they called CCC that at my university), they are good people who truly love the Lord. However, I can almost guarantee you that they will try to proselytize him.

It is a group that helps people love the Lord with their whole heart soul and mind. What could be wrong with that?

I don’t know what CCC is like at other campuses, but this was my experience. We had a CCC where my husband and I attended university. The head of it at the campus was a former Catholic. When I first met him, he was at a booth in the area where all the campus ministries were for incoming Freshman. He asked me if I was a Christian and I told him yes. When I told him that I was Catholic, he proceeded to tell me in a nice, gentle way how he was Catholic, but then saw the light, blah, blah, blah and told me that Catholics weren’t Christians. (That kind of thing always turns me off, so I just thanked him for his time and walked away.) Later, once school started, I’d see him throughout the year on a little platform outside on campus, cursing and yelling at everyone walking by, calling all of us whores, sinners, etc. and that we were all going to hell. One time a Catholic I knew asked him if he thought Mother Teresa was in hell after his tirade about Catholics going to hell, and on this he was actually “not sure” because she did do good works, which totally went against what he believed of Catholics and I think it actually stumped him for a minute.

Our Newman Center used to invite the group to Interfaith Dialogues which the Jewish, Catholic and Muslim ministries would participate in and we’d have very interesting and good dialogues about our faiths, but CCC was never about dialogue. It always ended up with them telling everyone else that they were going to hell. The experience with them at university really put a bad taste in my mouth whenever I hear or see Campus Crusade for Christ. But perhaps this had more to do with the leadership of that particular campus ministry.

They will try to lead him away from the one and only church created by Jesus Christ, they believe in false doctrines and traditions of men, they will tell him the sacraments are man made and unbiblical. They will lead him away from the fullness of the truth.

I was in CCC in college. Two of my roommates were raised Catholic and became “saved” as a result of the ministry of CCC. I was involved with door to door evangelization using a tract called “The Four Spiritual Laws”. One of the questions I was trained to ask is “do you know for sure you are going to heaven?”. As Catholics, we cannot answer in the affirmative. If someone says they are not sure, that is the open door to tell them how they can be sure. If someone replies that they are Catholic, then my response would have been that what I am talking about is a relationship, not a religion. I could go on. I would be very careful about the group. I think there are more ecumenical Christian groups- I think Intervarsity is more diverse. What about a local Catholic church where young people from a variety of colleges/walks of life attend? Is the university in a small town?

I definitely agree with a lot of the posters on here; you’d have to be totally rock-solid in your faith. And honestly, you shouldn’t expect to really be completely welcomed, as a Catholic.

I loved Cru in college; it honestly got me through a rough four years. I’m still friends with a lot of the kids I met there. BUT: I was a Lutheran at the time. I got a lot of crud for being Lutheran and celebrating Lent and Holy week and such, because it was all “too Catholic”. There were defintely several times where “Catholic bashing” took place (not that they called it that, but that’s what it was), where everyone traded their (completely un-informed) “opinions” about the Catholic church, and pitied everyone in it. I also went to several large conferences, where we were taught their method of evangelization, with the little tracts and pamphlets. We were asked to go door to door in the surrounding neighborhoods to give our little speech and had out the tracts. I HATED it. It seemed so shallow and false, so formulaic and impersonal, so PUSHY. And I always felt a little weird about the things we had to say.

If your son, or any other Catholic, joins this group, I would be VERY surprised if they didn’t try to evangelize him, and get to him away from the Catholic faith. It’s just their “job” I guess you could say. If it had been at my school, there would have been a group of people working together to “convert” him, discussing ways to “reach” him.

So, be careful. Often, it’s a great fun group of kids, and many of them are really wonderful, godly people. But the organization is not Catholic friendly. It just isn’t. They are evangelizing to Catholics worldwide, and trying to “save” them and “bring them to Jesus”. It’s not just on college campuses. They have a huge missionary branch we should be aware of. I don’t think the organization is inherently bad, but they are very evangelical, and therefore misguided.

Thank you for all your replies. My son lives at home and does attend Mass with us each Sunday. He is not one to go out of his way and ready apologetics.:o I feel he joined CRU because he saw that they were a religious organization and acutally had a booth/table at the club orientation day, with alot of people and information. I don’t even think the Catholic group represented themselves that day. He is not one to go out and seek info (hope that changes with college:D).

Thank goodness he decided not to join a fraternity. :eek:He went to activities for only one, who aggressively sought him out. I told him if you don’t/aren’t planning to drink, what’s the point? A young man was texting him constantly to join, come to parties, was acting like my son was his new bff, but when my son didn’t give him an answer as to whether or not he was joining, the young man dropped my son like a hot potato.:thumbsup:

So I will pass along all that you have mentioned and keep an eye on him;)

I’m glad you’re keeping an eye on him.

I was involved with CCC all four years, in leadership, and went on two overseas summer missions. They will definitely try to convert him away from the Church. I remember being very confused when trying to witness to my Catholic suitemate. Her answers to my questions made it clear that she was a Christian, but according to CCC she wasn’t. My former pastor’s wife was “saved” out of the Catholic Church by CCC, so you can imagine their response to my conversion. . .

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.