Can a 9 month old receive anointing of the sick?

I am to be a sponsor for Baptism of a 9 month old. She has been sick in and out of hospital for the last 2 months. Doctors not sure what is wrong with her. Babies mom asked priest for Anointing of the Sick but he said that is only for those over the age of 7. My friend is upset because she thinks priest is just not wanting to anoint the baby. She says he’s not very friendly towards her and her husband. What can I tell her about the answer priest gave to her.

The priest is mostly correct:

Can. 1004 §1. The anointing of the sick can be administered to a member of the faithful who, having reached the use of reason, begins to be in danger due to sickness or old age.

Can. 97 §2. …With the completion of the seventh year, however, a minor is presumed to have the use of reason.

While the age of 7 is when the Church presumes that a child has use of reason, in individual cases it may be younger or older. In the case you describe the person in question is 9 months old and therefore cannot be considered to have “reached the use of reason.”

What you can tell the mother of the child is that once baptized the child will be in a state of grace and therefore will have all the grace he/she needs during this difficult time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.