Can a baby be baptized without godparents?

Hi-

My hubby and I are currently living in Bangkok, and are expecting our 1st child in January. I'll give birth here in Thailand, and our baby will be baptized here at a local church. I'm really concerned though about finding godparents for our baby and am worried that we'll be denied baptism because of lack of godparents. Only my SIL and husband are Catholic, but no one else in our family is, nor do we have any Catholic friends. We're not close with my SIL, she's actually hubby's stepsister, but their parents married when they were older so it's not like he grew up with her. I wouldn't be very comfortable asking them plus it's not like they could come to Bangkok for the baptism.

We haven't found a church here yet, but when we do, we will definitely be talking to the parish priest. I'm just wondering if anyone had ever had this problem.

Thanks in advance!
Emily

Godparents who cannot travel to the site of the baptism can be Godparents by proxy - that is, they are the Godparents, but another person stands in at the actual ceremony. Talk to your priest about that option.

Where there others at your parish you were close to who could be Godparents?

Canon Law, Canon 872 says "Insofar as possible, a person to be baptized is to be given a sponsor who assists an adult in Christian initiation or together with the parents presents an infant for baptism. A sponsor also helps the baptized person to lead a Christian life in keeping with baptism and to fulfill faithfully the obligations inherent in it.

I don’t think the pastor would withhold baptism but he may suggest that you get a local parishioner for a sponsor, or at least as a proxy for your sister-in-law.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.