Can a baby commit an actual sin?

What does the Church teach in response to this question:

Can a baby that is a few months old commit an actual sin?

No, a child under the age of reason cannot commit a deliberate sin which entails knowing what he is doing is wrong and the consequences of his actions. And the age of reason is flexible because some children mature faster than others, but around age 7 or so is the age of reason.

[quote=ItrustJesus]What does the Church teach in response to this question:

[/quote]

lol. Your joking right?

[quote=Della]No, a child under the age of reason cannot commit a deliberate sin which entails knowing what he is doing is wrong and the consequences of his actions. And the age of reason is flexible because some children mature faster than others, but around age 7 or so is the age of reason.
[/quote]

This is what I thought, but someone else told me recently that I was wrong in this issue. Thanks for your answer.

[quote=ItrustJesus]This is what I thought, but someone else told me recently that I was wrong in this issue. Thanks for your answer.
[/quote]

Babies can’t but kids can (once they “have reason”). Maybe the person was confused between kids and babies. Our Lady of Fatima even told the children that one of their friends who had died was going to be in purgatory until the end of the world, so children can sin.

[quote=ItrustJesus]This is what I thought, but someone else told me recently that I was wrong in this issue. Thanks for your answer.
[/quote]

Why did they tell you it was wrong? Can you elaborate?

[quote=ItrustJesus]What does the Church teach in response to this question:

[/quote]

No child before the age of reason that is around age 7, can not commit an Actual Sin, are you confussed with Original Sin that we are all born with, That is washed way at our Baptism?

[quote=Della]Why did they tell you it was wrong? Can you elaborate?
[/quote]

I was told. That’s not what the Bible says.

I tried to say that of course, we all suffer from Original Sin, but that a baby could not commit an actual sin. I also mentioned about the Age of Reason. But they didn’t appear to be convinced.

[quote=ItrustJesus]I was told. That’s not what the Bible says.
I tried to say that of course, we all suffer from Original Sin, but that a baby could not commit an actual sin.
[/quote]

Did your friend quote a particular Bible verse or passage or just say it as if it settled the matter?

[quote=Della]Did your friend quote a particular Bible verse or passage or just say it as if it settled the matter?
[/quote]

Hi. They quoted no Bible verse and said it as if it settled the matter. I wasn’t interested in a confrontation, so I did not ask them to develop that: What verse? Where does it say that in the Bible? etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.