Can a baptized person become demon-possessed?

I’ve looked, but haven’t found this addressed.

Short answer- yes.
There is much information on demonic activity in CAF.
I would recommend the books by Fr. Amorth “An exorcist tells his story” and “…more stories”. Fr. Amorth is, or was, the chief exorcist for Rome.
The books will answer many questions you may have about this subject.

God bless.

Peace

Absolutely.

Pax,
OA

Yes.

But less likely…(and it is on the rare side to begin with)

If one is living in Christ …living a life of prayer, the Sacraments…(and of course not playing with the occult etc --which is sinful…and contrary to the first half of this sentence) …one is more and more protected from such rare possibility.

Being possessed by demons has absolutely nothing to do with your faith, how well you adhere to the rules, etc. Anyone CAN be possessed.

Behavior done while under possession is NOT sinful. You can not sin, if you do not consent to the behavior.

This person was baptized Catholic as an infant. Don’t know a lot about her life, but do know she was involved in the occult. She attends a Lutheran church now and has been counselled by the pastor and others. She prays much and reads scripture and sincerely wants to live as God’s child, but she is tormented. She has made progress but she truly believes a demon is disrupting her life. I am trying to find an exorcist in the southwest Florida area (Diocese of Venice). I would appreciate your prayers for this woman. She has two sons.

Well, not absolutely nothing, no.

It is true that even the holiest person can be possessed, but it is also true that Faith, etc. make it less likely one will be so.

It’s just not the only factor, or an absolutely deciding factor, there are other factors.

call the diocesan office, usually the vicar general, for a referral, but I doubt they would speak to an unrelated third party, she would have to ask for help herself, or her next of kin if she is not of age or not able to speak for herself. the usual route, according to those experts who have been cited in similar discussions here (do a search), to demonic influence or possession is dabbling in the occult.

I disagree. Based on my studies it is vastly more common for family and friends to refer someone as the afflicted person is under much demonic duress and is made to think that they are over reacting, crazy, or that help from the Church would do no good anyway. There are different stages of demonic activity with full bodily possession being the worst form. There is also oppression and infestation in descending order of ‘serious’ though ANY extraordinary demonic activity is serious.

However it is up to the sufferer wanting to be rid of this or those entities and their level of faith. No one can be liberated against their will and the first step, much like an alcoholic, is to recognize the demon in their life. A head in the sand attitude is not a recipe for success. An authorized exorcist will be able to discern, with the help of independent medical professionals, if this person is afflicted or not. Do not assume. Do not play with fire.

Peace

Yes, I’ve called the office and talked to the secretay of the chancellor, but am not hearing back from them and will probably discover what you say. Thanks

Based on my studies it is vastly more common for family and friends to refer someone as the afflicted person is under much demonic duress and is made to think that they are over reacting, crazy, or that help from the Church would do no good anyway. There are different stages of demonic activity with full bodily possession being the worst form. There is also oppression and infestation in descending order of ‘serious’ though ANY extraordinary demonic activity is serious.

However it is up to the sufferer wanting to be rid of this or those entities and their level of faith. No one can be liberated against their will and the first step, much like an alcoholic, is to recognize the demon in their life. A head in the sand attitude is not a recipe for success. An authorized exorcist will be able to discern, with the help of independent medical professionals, if this person is afflicted or not. Do not assume. Do not play with fire.

Peace

She does have faith and has found some help in attending a protestant church, getting counselling from the pastor, reading scripture and praying. But she still believes she is oppressed, and she is open to help from an exorcist.

may I suggest that talking to the vicar general or chancellor or the officer in charge, rather than a secretary, is a better tactic. simply tell the secretary it is an urgent pastoral matter.

Another option is contacting the Catholic charismatic renewal in your area. I know people personally in the ministry of deliverance, which involves setting people free from demonic indfluence. There are differring levels of demonic activity, the most extreme being demonic possession. Oppression is a lower level and can be dealt with by lay people. I’m not sure if lay people can perform exorcisms, but your friend may not require one.

At any rate, people in this ministry would never attempt an exorcism withpout a priest if thats what is required. ( If not done properly, the demon can enter the person praying).

Further, if an exorcist priest is required, those in this ministry would know them and be able to put you in contact with them wheras many catholics, including priests, dont even believe in the existence of demons

Hello:
I agree that baptized persons can be possessed based on my own experience and real cases
of exorcism done by Catholic church,but still I do not understand how demon and Holy spirit can
co- exist in the body of a person.
I pray that Lord help that lady to carry the cross and finaly becomes free.

Regards,Mike

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.