Can a case be made for Catholic Enviromentalism?

Greeting,

It is not rare to see Christianity (specially the fundamentalists) accused of destroying the enviroment and not taking proper care to conserve it and/or promote better ways for making use of it.

Sometimes this is blamed on the nature of Christianity and how it focuses on personal salvation.

So, can a case be made to show how Catholicism is pro Environmentalist while not falling into the same line of nature worshippers or worshiping the creature rather than the creator?

I believe it can, I also think that this is a good subject to explore.

Thanks in advance,

If memory serves me right, they had a conference about that at Notre Dame in November 2004.

Interesting, do you think that there is an official Church document about this?

God gave us to be stewards over nature. That means to use things wisely and not destroy or waste things.

[quote=Asimis]Greeting,

It is not rare to see Christianity (specially the fundamentalists) accused of destroying the enviroment and not taking proper care to conserve it and/or promote better ways for making use of it.

Sometimes this is blamed on the nature of Christianity and how it focuses on personal salvation.

So, can a case be made to show how Catholicism is pro Environmentalist while not falling into the same line of nature worshippers or worshiping the creature rather than the creator?

I believe it can, I also think that this is a good subject to explore.

Thanks in advance,
[/quote]

I personally think that Christianity follows the stewardship world view, which says it is our job to take care of the world we have been given. We are stewards who have to take care of this world.

[quote=Bobby Jim]God gave us to be stewards over nature. That means to use things wisely and not destroy or waste things.
[/quote]

You got to it before me.

St Francis was always pro envirenment. I think and this is my own opinion that God has told us that it is our responsiblitity to take care of his creatures and all that he created. And certanintly this is what St Francis did.

We are called to be good stewards of all that The Lord has made.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.