Can a Catholic believe in telekinesis and such?

I wanted to ask if this is acceptable for a Catholic to believe in the posibility of some completely natural but ocult right now mental abilities of humans.

I once asked this on another Catholic forum, and was told that an exorsit saw that when someone levitated while doing yoga(or something like that), the powers came from demonic origin. but on the other hand i dont think im breaking any rule by believing it is a posibility of the mental abilities not related to yoga or any other religious practice, since like i said they would be a natural gift given by God, in case they existed.

DMC12 asks :** “I wanted to ask if this is acceptable, for a Catholic to believe in the possibility of some completely natural … mental abilities of humans.”**

Hmm, well first, there is a BIG difference between believing that something exists, and accepting that an unusual thing has just happened before your very eyes.
So, If I saw someone Levitate in the room I was in, that viewing IS my experience.
And, if I then went around telling people of that Levitation, it wouldn’t (necessarily) be that I believed it.

Second, another difference is between believing that a supernatural force caused that action, and some sort of Magic trick.
Magicians use illusions to make their audience think (or, maybe even BELIEVE) that a supernatural event occurred.
So, a “Christian” witness to a Levitation, can either think that what he saw was ABSOLUTELY real, or keep a little skepticism in his Mind.

OK, now to the issue at hand.
Is levitation possible (at all) to occur?
Well, if it IS possible, then it seems to me that a so-Gifted person would demonstrate his “Power” to a scientist, who could validate that no “Trick” had caused the event.
Then, everyone would be FREE to fully BELIEVE in the possibility of Levitation.

Beyond that, I do NOT think that God minds if people BELIEVE in the actuality (or, seeming reality) of a supernatural event.
So, the quick-and-easy answer to “Can a Catholic believe in Telekinesis” … is … Heck Yeah.

Now, the issue that you did NOT discuss is, would God be un-Happy if a Christian began to study about this Levitation thing, and attempt to practice it.
That is a much-Closer question.
God does NOT want Christians (or Jews) to practice the Occult.

So, if a Christian believes that he can produce Levitation through the action of the Holy Spirit, then that seems like a perfectly valid attempt.
But, if a Christian attempts to draw on any OTHER source for the power to do this, Hmm not so Good.
God once said (in a Clay Tablet that He gave to Moses) : I am the Lord your God, don’t go trying to worship other gods (or call on them to give you supernatural powers).

We need to be wary of such claims, and of dipping into such powers. It can lead the soul astray. We can be foolish believe all we may hear as fact. It can be ‘magic’ or deception. And it is curiosity that doesn’t give blessing but can distract from the truth God has taught us.

The Vatican exorcise Father Amorth warns
**“There is no distinction between white and black magic. When magic works, it is always the work of the Devil . All the forms of occultism, such as mass recourse to Eastern religious with all their esoteric connotations, are an open door for the Devil . And so he comes in. Immediately.” **

Catechism of the Catholic Church**

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c1a1.htm

Divination and magic

2115 God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all unhealthy curiosity about it. Improvidence, however, can constitute a lack of responsibility.

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one’s service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another’s credulity. "

Not of Christian origin…ewtn.com/library/NEWAGE/NAZIOCCU.TXT

After studying then current discoveries in anthropology and physics,
Lanz produced a work called (1905)

Lanz believed
there had once existed a super-human race of creatures gifted with
psychic powers of telepathy and telekinesis. These gods had
miscegenated with animals to produce half-human/ half-animal
creatures which were put to use as concubines. Modern man was a
distant remnant of the original god-like race whose psychic abilities
had atrophied as a result of breeding with biological inferiors
(again, some of these ideas had first been suggested by H.P.
Blavatsky and other Theosophists.)

There are a number of saints who have been given various spiritual gifts. For example, St Padre Pio was given the gift of bilocation. St Teresa of Avila levitated. But those were particular gifts given in unique circumstances to people to accomplish God’s will.

They received those as gifts of God…they did not do those things as a result of developing their mental abilities or the like. They were given those gifts for specific purposes by God and used those gifts as needed by God (Padre Pio’s bilocation was due to the fact that he was confined to his monastery by religious obedience…but he was allowed to bilocate in order to accomplish his ministry while still remaining obedient to his vows.

The point is that if God wills it for the greater work of God and for His glory, then so be it. It’s not something that any saint asked for, prayed for, did mental exercises to develop, or anything else. It was also not something that any of them were born with.

Anybody who wants those gifts; anybody who tries to achieve those things; they are opening themselves up to some major spiritual problems. That is a work of the ego that will surely be exploited by the Devil and his minions.

I agree. God sometimes uses a person as a vessel for a miracle, but the person themselves does not have the power. In specific situations, God gives them the power, but the individual can never simply use the power on demand. In telekinesis, the assumption is that the person has this power without God. If God is not involved, it can only be the enemy giving people these powers to cause confusion and pull onlookers away from God.

Well, it could also possibly be a completely natural (but rare) ability. The Church does not mandate rejecting it in that case. However, despite decades or centuries of research there is little persuasive evidence for telekinesis and other psychic phenomena.

Usagj

I agree.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.