Can a Catholic buy Dr. Pepper?

I'm just worried about the whole "Coke" fiasco (using aborted children's cells), and I don't want to end up even remotely supporting murder.

Sorry if the question is a bit outrageous.

I don't know about what Coke has done, but Dr. Pepper isn't owned by them.

Just as a point of clarification, wasn’t it PepsiCo in that stem cell fiasco, not Coke? From what I can gather from various internet sources, Pepsi does not contain fetal stem cells in its products. However, aborted cells are used in the development of artificial flavor enhancers by biotech company Senomyx which Pepsi is contracted with (jillstanek.com/2012/04/facts-about-pepsi-aborted-fetal-cell-controversy/).

Now here’s the rub. How many degrees of separation are enough to say that you aren’t supporting entities that funding research using aborted stem cells? Afterall, PepsiCo owns a lot of other companies like (via en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_PepsiCo)::slight_smile:

Frito-Lay
Gatorade
Quaker Oats
Tropicana
Elma Chips (Brazil)
Smiths Crisps Australia
Walkers Crisps United Kingdom
Naked Juice
Lipton

I think the rabbit hole goes even further as those companies own multiple brands as well. Do you stop buying all of those products? And that’s just the PepsiCo tree. What about other large conglomerates that also partner with labs that use fetal stem cells? What about the fact that the US government funds fetal stem cell research with tax payer money? Are all Catholics complicit in fetal stem cell research because we pay taxes?

I hate to say it, but I have a feeling that a lot of our processed foods trace back to labs using practices that go against Catholic teaching.

[quote="PrayHarder, post:3, topic:324659"]
Just as a point of clarification, wasn't it PepsiCo in that stem cell fiasco, not Coke? From what I can gather from various internet sources, Pepsi does not contain fetal stem cells in its products. However, aborted cells are used in the development of artificial flavor enhancers by biotech company Senomyx which Pepsi is contracted with (jillstanek.com/2012/04/facts-about-pepsi-aborted-fetal-cell-controversy/).

Now here's the rub. How many degrees of separation are enough to say that you aren't supporting entities that funding research using aborted stem cells? Afterall, PepsiCo owns a lot of other companies like (via en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_PepsiCo)::)

Frito-Lay
Gatorade
Quaker Oats
Tropicana
Elma Chips (Brazil)
Smiths Crisps Australia
Naked Juice
Lipton

I think the rabbit hole goes even further as those companies own multiple brands as well. Do you stop buying all of those products? And that's just the PepsiCo tree. What about other large conglomerates that also partner with labs that use fetal stem cells? What about the fact that the US government funds fetal stem cell research with tax payer money? Are all Catholics complicit in fetal stem cell research because we pay taxes?

I hate to say it, but I have a feeling that a lot of our processed foods trace back to labs using practices that go against Catholic teaching.

[/quote]

Hear, hear. I think we need to accept that there are some things that are simply beyond our control. If we were bound to boycott anything and everything that may even remotely support something bad, we would have to live in cultish isolation from the rest of the world. We are called to engage the world, not retreat into the "Catholic Ghetto".

I absolutely agree that we can’t boycott anything or everything. I’m sure most companies have a link somewhere that we don’t agree with. However, there are a few companies that I don’t support due to them donating to Planned Parenthood. I don’t have a link to the list of companies but if one is interested, they can google it.

[quote="JackVk, post:4, topic:324659"]
Hear, hear. I think we need to accept that there are some things that are simply beyond our control. If we were bound to boycott anything and everything that may even remotely support something bad, we would have to live in cultish isolation from the rest of the world. We are called to engage the world, not retreat into the "Catholic Ghetto".

[/quote]

Eating less processed foods wouldn't be the worst health decision we could make.
I don't think avoiding pepsi products will put anybody into a "cult of isolation". I don't drink or eat any pepsi products and i have a active social life. And i don't think eating and drinking products that where built off the back of murdered children is exactly what they had in mind when they spoke about engaging the world,
Once Catholics died before doing something contrary to their faith. Now it looks like they wont even give up a can of pepsi. How far we have sunk.

[quote="fakename, post:1, topic:324659"]
I'm just worried about the whole "Coke" fiasco (using aborted children's cells), and I don't want to end up even remotely supporting murder.

Sorry if the question is a bit outrageous.

[/quote]

I don't know who owns dr pepper, But it is pepsi who are using the aborted children cells for their products. And not coke. Which is fine by as coke is a better product

[quote="PrayHarder, post:3, topic:324659"]
Just as a point of clarification, wasn't it PepsiCo in that stem cell fiasco, not Coke? From what I can gather from various internet sources, Pepsi does not contain fetal stem cells in its products. However, aborted cells are used in the development of artificial flavor enhancers by biotech company Senomyx which Pepsi is contracted with (jillstanek.com/2012/04/facts-about-pepsi-aborted-fetal-cell-controversy/).

Now here's the rub. How many degrees of separation are enough to say that you aren't supporting entities that funding research using aborted stem cells? Afterall, PepsiCo owns a lot of other companies like (via en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_PepsiCo)::)

Frito-Lay
Gatorade
Quaker Oats
Tropicana
Elma Chips (Brazil)
Smiths Crisps Australia
Naked Juice
Lipton

I think the rabbit hole goes even further as those companies own multiple brands as well. Do you stop buying all of those products? And that's just the PepsiCo tree. What about other large conglomerates that also partner with labs that use fetal stem cells? What about the fact that the US government funds fetal stem cell research with tax payer money? Are all Catholics complicit in fetal stem cell research because we pay taxes?

[/quote]

From what I have read, Senomyx (the flavor testing company) has agreed to stop using HEK 293 or any other cells derived from aborted humans. Pepsi did not use HEK 293 directly, but they were implicated in this by their relationship with Senomyx. However, HEK 293 has been around since 1972. It is considered a workhorse cell line in cell biology and biotechnology; consequently, most people in the Western world likely have some connection to one or more products where HEK 293 was used in testing or developing the product.

Can Catholics be held accountable for everything they use/eat/drink that may have some connection to a lab that uses practices contrary to Catholic teaching? I doubt it. If you know that some food or cosmetic item was produced in a manner contrary to Catholic teaching, then you could be held responsible, but unless you give up all processed food and all cosmetics and eat only food that you produce yourself, I don't see how you can avoid using some product somewhere at some time that has a connection to a lab that engaged in practices contrary to Catholic teaching. So, then, where is our responsibility in all of this? Where do we draw the line? :confused:

As for the original question, "Can a Catholic buy Dr. Pepper?" my answer is "Unless you know that the producer (Cadbury Schweppes of Plano, Texas) engages in some morally prohibited practice, then yes." On the other hand, I really don't like the taste of Dr. Pepper, so I don't have to worry about being caught up unintentionally in sin by drinking it. :)

You could also extend this argument by asking "Does this company provide health insurance for domestic partners (including gay partners) or does the health insurance provide birth control?" Can you in good conscience buy products from these companies?

Unless you live in a cave and eat nothing but worms I doubt you can avoid anything that directly or indirectly is contrary to Catholic teaching. :shrug:

Dr. Pepper is owned by Cadbury, the Easter egg company. Coca-Cola does distribute it outside the U.S., but as other posters have pointed out, the issue seems to be with Pepsico.

Yes, a Catholic can buy Dr. Pepper.

We certainly need to be vigilant, but let us please, please try to avoid spreading hearsay and guilt-by-association based on nothing but fear and assumptions.

We need to have our facts straight. Others have already posted them, but let’s summarize:
[LIST]
*]The fiasco in question had to do with Pepsi, not Coke.
*]Dr. Pepper is owned by neither Coke nor Pepsi.
*]Even the fiasco itself was wildly misrepresented in certain media outlets:
[LIST]
*]No food products anywhere in the U.S. contain fetal cells or any human remains. None. Zero.
*]Pepsi was put under the microscope for their partnership with the company Senomyx that does flavor research.
*]Senomyx does use a cell line derived from an aborted fetus.
*]Pepsi claimed that Senomyx did not use this cell line in the research they did for Pepsi.
*]No Pepsi products have even hit the market yet as a result of the work done by Senomyx.
[/LIST]
[/LIST]

Snopes has a whole article on it: snopes.com/politics/medical/pepsi.asp.

Certainly, one should be scandalized by what Senomyx is doing. And if someone wants to boycott any food companies that use them as a reseach partner, I wouldn’t dissuade someone from following that course. But Pepsi is not manufacturing beverages containing human remains. Still less is any other beverage company doing so simply because of the actions of one.

Let me throw my :twocents: in here.

I agree with the posters who say that it is nearly impossible to completely get away from corporations that go against the teachings of the Church. For example, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but both Microsoft and Apple provide benefits to homosexual couples. If you were to avoid those companies because of that, then you would not have access to computers at all.

The way corporations are configured these days, it is difficult to know all of the relationships between them. Who owns whom, who is a subsidiary of whom, all of this can be quite confusing.

That said, there are places that you can avoid. For example, I will not go to a Sonic restaurant because they support Planned Parenthood. There are other restaurants that I can go to.

We can also avoid membership in some organizations. For example, I will allow my membership in AARP to expire since they directly promote and campaign for things like abortion. I did not realize that when I signed up, but found out about it later. Thus the membership will expire, and when they ask why, I will tell them.

Bottom line, do what you can; leave the rest to God.

[quote="fredystairs, post:13, topic:324659"]

Bottom line, do what you can; leave the rest to God.

[/quote]

This is good advice for much in life. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.