Can a Catholic receive communion at a Protestant church that believes it’s only a symbol?

Father David it is GREATLY appreciated that you comment here (gently & generously) and explain things for us who are Catholic and for those who are non Catholic. God Bless you.

That’s a bit harsh. Should I not have attended my father-in-law’s funeral recently? The baptisms of some of my nieces and nephews? Some of the weddings of friends and relatives I’ve been at?

Yet it happens, with joy and reverence.

Catholics are allowed to receive Eucharist from Eastern Orthodox Churches right? I know the guidelines say it is okay for Orthodox to receive at Catholic Mass.

Because Catholics believe that the celebration of the Eucharist is a sign of the reality of the oneness of faith, life, and worship, members of those churches with whom we are not yet fully united are ordinarily not admitted to Holy Communion. Eucharistic sharing in exceptional circumstances by other Christians requires permission according to the directives of the diocesan bishop and the provisions of canon law (canon 844 §4). Members of the Orthodox Churches, the Assyrian Church of the East, and the Polish National Catholic Church are urged to respect the discipline of their own Churches. According to Roman Catholic discipline, the Code of Canon Law does not object to the reception of Communion by Christians of these Churches (canon 844 §3).

Under certain limited circumstances, yes.

Generally speaking yes. From the Catholic perspective, they are permitted. Orthodox discipline generally says they cannot.

A crime is never reverent.

NOT a Church that only believes it’s a symbol. NOPE, never.

We cannot receive communion in a Protestant church.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.