Can a currently married man that has been married twice before but both prior spouses are deceased become a deacon?

Years before I became catholic and married my current wife in the Catholic Church I was married twice but both women have been deceased now for many years, and I have been married to my current bride for 31 years. I have served as a catechist, lector, sacristan, and extraordinary minister of Holy Communion, Parish Council Member in several parishes and even discerned as the Parish Council President in two different parishes. Now several members of the parish, and several of my priest friends have asked if I have considered becoming a Deacon. To be candid I have felt called to Holy Orders as a deacon for many years but after completing the Retreat in Daily Life this past year and with the most recent urging by a long time priest friend and my Spiritual Director, I would like to know if with my prior marriages if this is possible. My wife and I have talked and she is fully supportive, but I do not know canon law, and I am reluctant to bring up these old pains if there is absolutely no possibility. I’m also concerned as many diocese do not permit men over 60 to be considered for the diaconate. Having worked for the Federal Government for years and being forced to move frequently was a problem in the past. Now that I have retired from government service I have few demands for travel which could have limited my preparation in the past. Now as we move into retirement if this is possible we would need to locate in a diocese that would permit us (this is of course a joint venture with my wife) to complete the appropriate discernment and training.
Most Respectfully, FOtis

Yes, it is possible but it is not a guaranteed acceptance. Dioceses take these cases on an individual basis.

Given that you’ve been able to serve in all of those parish capacities it would appear that your marital situation is acceptable to the Church and that your spiritual life is in a good place. Every candidate for ordination is different and has their own set of particulars that need to be considered. My best suggestion would be to discuss this with your local diocesan office for the permanent diaconate. They can advise you what their standard policies are and how they would view your situation.

God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.