Can a divorced person be an Extraordinary Minister?

I have a friend who is divorced and she is also an Eucharistic minister. Can she give the Body and Blood an also receive the Body & Blood if she is divorced?

According to the instruction Immensae Caritatis Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist must be devout Catholics whose “good qualities of Christian life, faith, and morals recommend them”….”and no one is to be chosen whose appointment the faithful might find disquieting”.

Thus, a divorced Catholic in an irregular marriage should not be admitted to this ministry, nor should he or she receive Holy Communion until the marriage is regularized through an ecclesiastical declaration of nullity.

“However, a divorced Catholic who has not remarried can receive Holy Communion after receiving the Sacrament of Confession and living in complete continence. As for those Catholics who persist in an irregular marriage, they may receive Holy Communion only after obtaining sacramental absolution, which may be given only “to those who, repenting of having broken the sign of the Covenant and of fidelity to Christ, are sincerely ready to undertake a way of life that is no longer in contradiction to the indissolubility of marriage. This means, in practice, that when for serious reasons, for example, for the children’s upbringing, a man and a woman cannot satisfy the obligation to separate, they ‘take on themselves the duty to live in complete continence, that is, by abstinence from the acts proper to married couples’”(8). In such a case they may receive Holy Communion as long as they respect the obligation to avoid giving scandal.”
Source:Reception of Holy Communion by the Divorced and Remarried

Further reading:
In Truth and Love

Extraordinary Ministers

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit