Can a infertile man or woman marry?

I have heard that a man that is not capable of erections, marriage can be denied to him. What about man that did a vasectomy? What about a woman who had to take her ovaries out due to cancer? Or have some disorder that does not make her ovulate? What about those who ties their tubes?

It's perfectly OK for ostensibly sterile people to marry. They must be able to complete a unitive, procreative marital embrace. Therefore impotence is an example of a diriment impediment.

[quote="fabio_rocha, post:1, topic:335272"]
I have heard that a man that is not capable of erections, marriage can be denied to him.

[/quote]

That is impotence, not infertility. And, yes, permanent impotence is an impediment to valid marriage.

[quote="fabio_rocha, post:1, topic:335272"]

What about man that did a vasectomy? What about a woman who had to take her ovaries out due to cancer? Or have some disorder that does not make her ovulate? What about those who ties their tubes?

[/quote]

Infertility is not an impediment to valid marriage.

A person who is impotent cannot have sex as it is traditionally defined. You have to be able to have sex to enter into a marriage. The Church errs on the side of assuming it is possible if there’s any hope.

A person who is infertile cannot conceive children. One has to be open to the possibility of children. A person who is infertile can be open to that possibility, even if it is remote. One does not have to be able to physically conceive and carry children like one has to be able to have sex.

[quote="1ke, post:3, topic:335272"]
That is impotence, not infertility. And, yes, permanent impotence is an impediment to valid marriage.

[/quote]

Can the impotent male take medicine for his condition? Is that permissible?

Yes

[quote="1ke, post:6, topic:335272"]
Yes

[/quote]

I have come to trust your answers - however I was told otherwise by a priest.

[quote="jmjconder, post:7, topic:335272"]
I have come to trust your answers - however I was told otherwise by a priest.

[/quote]

Sorry, but the priest is incorrect.

So, is a couple are unable to complete the sex act due to disease,age, or infirmity, and are not allowed to marry, may they then live together for mutual support, love and companionship???

So, is a couple are unable to complete the sex act due to disease, age, or infirmity, and are not allowed to marry, may they then live together for mutual support, love and companionship???

No, that is not what the vocation of Matrimony is for. They should find another way to serve God with their lives.

An infertile or sterile person may marry. A person physically unable to consummate, may not marry. So, a permanently impotent man may not marry.

I see no reason why not joesph was married and had no biological children.

I think that Falco’s question, which Elizium23 is responding to, is referring to cohabitation of people who are physically unable to have sex, not to those people entering into Matrimony. I am not aware of anything in the Church’s point of view that would prohibit cohabitation in that specific case.

How about scandal? The purpose of love and companionship and dating is to lead to the vocation of marriage. If one person in a relationship is impotent, then he has no business being married, pretending to be, or engaging in activities that are precursors thereof. What is the other person doing in this relationship? If a person is called to marriage and is capable of completing the marital embrace, then she or he should be seeking a spouse and not pursuing a dead-end relationship with someone who cannot be one.

Just how is one to discover whether they're impotent or not before marriage? Isn't it sinful to engage in, or try to engage in ANY kind/type of sexual activity outside of marriage?

And some wonder why people get turned off to Catholicism and marry outside of the Church!

God bless and much peace!

Mike :)

I think as long as a marriage can be consummated infertility isn’t a problem. Issac and John could testify that God has no problem creating pregnancies inspite of age or fertility issues. :slight_smile: I have heard on a Catholic radio show that impotence can stand in the way of marriage.

I’m pretty sure one who is impotent would know about it, even prior to getting married. There’s a difference between one having sexual urges and one who acts upon them.

And I’m guessing that many people get married outside of the Church because they don’t want a 2000 year old institution telling them what they can and can’t do, even if it’s the same Church that Jesus Christ established. We live in a selfish culture, and if the Church won’t cater to some people’s needs (regarding cohabitation, contraception, etc.) then they’ll find a church that will.

This discussion also forgotten to mention an important point. If either the man or woman are infertile or they can’t join in intercourse for whatever reason, and they want to marry and have children, there is still an option for the couple which is called adoption. There are millions of children that are needing homes. It doesn’t take blood for people to become parents, it takes love.

But marriage is not an option for impotent people.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.