Can a lay person bless a religious object (e.g. crucifix) him/herself?

If so, how? (That is, what does he/she do or say to bless the object?) Suppose the person has holy water – does sprinkling holy water on the object bless it?

No.

[quote="Ana_v, post:1, topic:288742"]
If so, how? (That is, what does he/she do or say to bless the object?) Suppose the person has holy water -- does sprinkling holy water on the object bless it?

[/quote]

no.

I don’t think so. It is my opinion that merely using the object solely for its religious purpose does impart some kind of blessing-like characteristic, however.

Hello Ana,

If you listen to the words of any blessing, we are always asking God to bless the person, place or thing. Only God blesses. Anyone, priest or lay person, can ask God for a blessing. In the Catholic tradition we attach a special meaning to the blessing of a priest. This is a good practice, but it does not mean that we cannot also ask God to give a blessing. Parents are encouraged to ask God to bless their young children before they go to sleep at night. Asking God for a blessing is our way to acknowledge that God loves us and truly wants to give us good things. Asking for a blessing on a person is also a way to show our love for that person.

sorry, wrong.

Only bishops, priests and deacons can bless sacramentals.

If so, how? (That is, what does he/she do or say to bless the object?) Suppose the person has holy water -- does sprinkling holy water on the object bless it?

[/quote]

Some priest told to us that it is ok, it is just FAITH, as long as you will attend mass regurlary, and make your faith deeper to the Church and to God, but much better if the priest will do it for you.

The special meaning isn’t attached by us as to create a new tradition, it is atached by God through the authority of ordination. Everything is about authority. The three offices illustrate this beautifully, bishop holds the fulness of the priesthood of Chrisst and therefore holds the highest authority in his diocese. Next the priest who has the authority of the priesthood of Jesus Christ through his bishop, and the the deacon who is the servant of servants and and exercises the ministry of the priesthood of Christ in the “lowest” sense, for lack of a better word.

A lay person has no authorty to validly confer a blessing on a sacremental, only the ordained have that authority. Now a parent can bless his or her own child because they have authority over them. Authority matters, remeber the deamon that would not listen to the apostles? Who did they call to handle it, Jesus the High Priest.

Lay persons can bless via their being Baptized into Christ…and in various ways…some even presiding at certain official blessings…(though differently than the ordained)

but sacramentals such as crucifixes and medals etc…need to be blessed by a Bishop, Priest or Deacon via the Sacrament of Orders etc (as are many others…)

CCC

scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c4a1.htm

Deacon Lapey,

If the holy water (as the term “holy” implies) is already blessed by those with authority to do so, why would sprinkling an object not bless something?

If it does not, then what is the significance of doing so? :hmmm:

I’m told it’s a common practice to keep holy water on you to sprinkle it in your house, or people, etc. My church even has it available to anyone who wants it, just provide your own vial.

Please pardon my ignorace as I’m a Candidate presently in RCIA and am still learning. We haven’t gotten to this part yet. :o

Thank you! And God bless. :signofcross:

[quote="loozcannon, post:10, topic:288742"]
Deacon Lapey,

If the holy water (as the term "holy" implies) is already blessed by those with authority to do so, why would sprinkling an object not bless something?

If it does not, then what is the significance of doing so? :hmmm:

I'm told it's a common practice to keep holy water on you to sprinkle it in your house, or people, etc. My church even has it available to anyone who wants it, just provide your own vial.

Please pardon my ignorace as I'm a Candidate presently in RCIA and am still learning. We haven't gotten to this part yet. :o

Thank you! And God bless. :signofcross:

[/quote]

Not knowing if the good Deacon will be back soon I will note that yes lay persons can also use Holy Water to say bless themselves and their homes and family etc (see my post above too).

Crucifixes, Rosaries, medals, scapulars are to be blessed by a Bishop, Priest or Deacon...the are not only blessed but indulgences are attached to their devout use in the case of those four.

For the blessing ceremonies in the Roman Rite (Ordinary Form) the liturgical book is Book of Blessings, Liturgical Press, Minnesota, 1989, ISBN 0-8146-1875-8.

Part IV has "Blessings of Articles Meant to Foster the Devotion of the Christian People". It has three blessings.

The first is Chapter 44 "Order for the Blessing of Religious Articles", which has in its instructions "1444 The present order may be used by a priest or deacon." It includes "small crucifixes" in its list of items.

The second is Chapter 45 "Order for the Blessing of Rosaries". It also has "1465 The present order may be used by a priest or deacon."

The third is Chapter 46 "Order for the Blessing and Conferral of a Scapular." This does not seem to require a priest or deacon. Instead the instructions are: "1488. ... Whenever the conferral is a way of receiving members of the faithful into a confraternity of a religious order or institute, this reception must be carried out by a member of that institute or else by a minister deputed by the competent authority of the institute."

The General Introduction to the Book of Blessings has:
"18. .... Other laymen and laywomen, in virtue of the universal priesthood, a dignity they possess because of their baptism and confirmation, may celebrate certain blessings, as indicated in the respective orders of blessings, by use of the rites and formularies designated for a lay minister. ... But whenever a priest or a deacon is present, the office of presiding should be left to him."

For example, Chapter 24, Order for the Blessing of Tools or Other Equipment for Work, has "921 The present order may be used by a priest or deacon. It may also be used by a layperson, who follows the rites and prayers designated for a lay minister."

[quote="John_Lilburne, post:12, topic:288742"]
For the blessing ceremonies in the Roman Rite (Ordinary Form) the liturgical book is Book of Blessings, Liturgical Press, Minnesota, 1989, ISBN 0-8146-1875-8."

[/quote]

Such is referring to official blessings....(see the CCC too) and I would note that a Scapular I think would need at least to be already blessed by a Priest or Deacon or Bishop first...it may be that say a religious of an Order who is not a Priest can invest etc a Scapular so that is why it is worded that way.

[quote="Lapey, post:8, topic:288742"]
The special meaning isn't attached by us as to create a new tradition, it is atached by God through the authority of ordination. Everything is about authority. The three offices illustrate this beautifully, bishop holds the fulness of the priesthood of Chrisst and therefore holds the highest authority in his diocese. Next the priest who has the authority of the priesthood of Jesus Christ through his bishop, and the the deacon who is the servant of servants and and exercises the ministry of the priesthood of Christ in the "lowest" sense, for lack of a better word.

A lay person has no authorty to validly confer a blessing on a sacremental, only the ordained have that authority. Now a parent can bless his or her own child because they have authority over them. Authority matters, remeber the deamon that would not listen to the apostles? Who did they call to handle it, Jesus the High Priest.

[/quote]

Seriously, I need to know, can I bless my sheets? I own them…do I have authority over them? I have been having nightmares every night since I put them on my bed. Never used them before. So, my question is, how can I get these sheets blessed and get the heeby-jeebies out of them? Please help me.

[/quote]

Yes, but not in the same way a priest would bless.

I agree with this. The priest does, by virtue of his ordination, impart a special meaning to his blessing which we should hold in respect. We can also ask for God’s Blessing on things, like our homes, meals, etc. I used to ask this blessing for our children, and now for a grandchild.

If you are being serious, sprinkle holy water and pray for God to bless in the name of teh F, S, HS. If you are just yanking my chain, pour the water over your head…:D:p

A very good habit is to keep a small bottle of Holy Water in your bedroom and, as you lie down to sleep, bless yourself with it and sprinkle some on the bed.

Another good habit is not to troll on forums, GeezLouise.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.