Can a mum become a nun?

If a woman never marries but gives birth to a child then maybe gives it up for adoption can she still become a nun? Just curious.
:slight_smile:

I don't know about the unmarried part, but Elizabeth Ann Seton was a mother, wasn't she?

I would think the answer is yes. Frankly, that seems like it would be a good way for a sinner to devote herself to Christ.

A sister at my old parish was a former protestant minister with 4 kids and a whole swag of grand children. She converted and became a sister.

Not sure if you're meaning Nun or Sister as they're often interchanged

:shrug:

[quote="Chrish1975, post:1, topic:304379"]
If a woman never marries but gives birth to a child then maybe gives it up for adoption can she still become a nun? Just curious.
:)

[/quote]

The limitations with regards to children are due to the children being dependent on their parent and the parents having a responsibility towards that child. Usually a mother (assuming she is widowed or unmarried) can become a nun or sister if her children are grown and independent. If the child had been adopted, then such responsibilities and dependency would not be present so I believe it would be possible, although specific communities might have different restrictions.

I think it depends on the order.It takes a lot of courage for a woman to fit her child up for adoption. I imagine the reasons surrounding it would be discussed during spiritual direction. I've also heard of some accepting widowed women with grown children being accepted. In the end it just depends.

My friend was a single, unwed mother before she became a Sister in a religious order. She is in her 50s as well. She had been discerning since she was a teenager but got rebellious and had a baby. She is now a novice. It is totally possible.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.