Can a Muslim woman

The question I have has to do with Muslims marrying non-muslims. It is my understanding that a Muslim can not marry a non-muslim, but there are opinions expressed here that seem to suggest something to the contrary. Can anyone shed some light on this?

A muslim man can marry a Christian/Jewish woman

A muslim woman cannot marry a Christian/Jewish woman

A muslim man who marries a Christian/Jewish must raise the children muslim whether or not if the woman converts to Islam

Are these rules spelled out anywhere in the Koran, or is this tradition?

The Koran is shorter than the New Testament. There’s not a ton of info in it. The rules are a part of the hadiths, which is an extensive commentary on the life of Mohammad, which Islamic scholars use to try to determine orthodoxy.

Muslim women must marry Muslim men. Muslim men can marry Muslims or People of the Book, which in Sunni tradition is Christians or Jews, or in Shia tradtion, Christians, Jews, or Zoroastrians. I don’t believe any Muslims are permitted to marry anybody of non-Abrahamic faiths, although they could still be taken as sex slaves during a jihad.

So the Koran does not state explicitly that a Muslim must marry a Muslim?

Which hadith spells out the marriage rules and who wrote it?

From the Koran

“This day are (all) good things made lawful for
you. The food of those who have received the
Scripture is lawful for you, and your food is
lawful for them. And so are the virtuous
women of the believers and the virtuous
women of those who received the Scripture
before you (lawful for you) when ye give them
their marriage portions and live with them in
honor, not in fornication, nor taking them as
secret concubines. Whoso denieth the faith,
his work is vain and he will be among the
losers in the Hereafter.” Al-Mâ’idah 5:5

I suppose you meant “A Muslim woman cannot marry a Christian/Jewish MAN,” although what you wrote is most probably true as well!

Even in America?

LOL America is the exception on this and so many other things. That is the true meaning of America’s “exceptionalism.”

Back to the topic at hand…

If I understand this correctly, the food of Christians (pork for example) is made lawful for Muslims.(?) I don’t think I will find a Muslim who believes this. Am I misinterpreting?

And so are the women of those who received the Scripture before (ie Jews and Christians)
There is nothing here about Muslim women given to non-muslim men.

=Ontheway;11296695]The question I have has to do with Muslims marrying non-muslims. It is my understanding that a Muslim can not marry a non-muslim, but there are opinions expressed here that seem to suggest something to the contrary. Can anyone shed some light on this?

This IS a matter of their religious PRACTICE /laws. It is NOT the held belief of the world outside of the Muslim faith.

So the is is not really “can” so much as in there view as “SHOULD?” As a FYI this was held also in the early formation of God’s OT chosen peoples to keep “the faith” clean and pure as they understand it.

Just found this on the web:

" Therefore, the fear that a Muslim man or woman may well be affected with his/her partner’s religion, thus go on to a path that leads to the fire of hell, is the main cause for this prohibition. Hence, a Muslim woman will not be allowed whatsoever to marry anyone besides a Muslim man, and even if she did, the marriage will not be valid in Islam

This confirms what I have been hearing from many Muslims about their marriage laws. The source of this is still not clear (to me). I suspect that it is part of the Sharia law, but how did it get there? If there is nothing explicit in the Koran, who is responsible for this?

More religiously liberal Muslims will go Quran only and deny the orthodox who say woman can’t marry non Muslim men of The Book… There was on Muslim woman on this site years ago when I first joined who held that position.

I also know a Muslim woman who maintains this position and insists that there is nothing in the Koran to deny a Muslim woman the right to marry outside Islam. I can’t, however, verify the sources. My friend relies on the Koran alone, hence my original question about the source of this law.
Interesting to note that no Muslim man seems to hold this position. If there is one, speak now.

Women marrying non Muslims is not mentioned therefore to Quranist it is acceptable, only later legal codes of men and the hadiths makes it unavailable to women as well as men.

[quote="jakasaki]A muslim woman cannot marry a Christian/Jewish woman

[/quote]

Even in America. :wink:

ooopppssss

yup

I don’t think it applies to specific kinds of food that are clearly defined as unlawful, but to food in general. Food is not “haram” just because it’s produced by Christians or Jews. See this Q & A from a Shafi’i website (the Shafi’i are one of the four orthodox schools of Sunni law): shafiifiqh.com/eating-food-served-by-a-non-muslim/

And so are the women of those who received the Scripture before (ie Jews and Christians)
There is nothing here about Muslim women given to non-muslim men.

This passage is modifying the command given in 2:221, which appears to forbid marriage to non-Muslims, period (the word “kufr” is often translated as “polytheist,” but it means generally “unbeliever,” and the question of whether and how far it applies to Christians and Jews seems to be a matter of some dispute within Islam).

Edwin

No definitive answer to my original question is emerging from this discussion. We have established that a muslim woman can’t marry a non-muslim woman, except in the US. :slight_smile:

It seems that the Koran doesn’t answer the Muslim/non-Muslim marriage question one way or another, so post-koranic interpretations have decided who marries whom.

This does lead to the larger question of how the Koran views us, the “people of the Book”.

This is a quote from the book marriage and morals in Islam by sayyid Muhammad Rizvi

(B) Restrictions based on Religion

Marriage between two people who do not follow the same religion creates problems in the day-to-day life of the couple because no aspect of our life is outside the jurisdiction of the Islamic shari’ah. Consequently restriction in marriage based on religious differences is quite natural

A Shi’ah Muslim Man

· can marry:

a Shi’ah Muslim woman.

a non-Shi’ah Muslim woman.

however, if there is danger of being misled, then it is haram. (Forbidden)

a Jewish or Christian woman in mut’a only. (Fixed Term marriage)

· cannot marry: a woman of any other faith.

A Shi’ah Muslim Woman

· can marry:

a Shi’ah Muslim man.

a non-Shi’ah Muslim man,

although it is better not to do so; and if there is danger of being misled, then it is haram.(Forbidden)

· cannot marry: a non-Muslim man.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.