Can a non-believer from your family get to heaven?

Simple question really - if you are a believer but have somebody in your family who you love dearly, but they reject Christianity and reject God - will you see them in heaven?

You’d think they’d have trouble getting to to heaven, but then wouldn’t that make you sad that they aren’t there? Or will you just forget that they ever existed? Perhaps if you pray for them enough, they can be saved? I don’t know.

Think the question through a bit more.

What you are asking is, allegoriacally, can a person with no relationship or a hostile relationship to Person A get to a loving relationship with Person A. It’s up to the hostile or indifferent individual, as a friend or family member, you can try to foster it etc. but not force it.

Only God knows that. We shouldn’t speculate on it, and instead should pray for them and try to help them find God.

You’d think they’d have trouble getting to to heaven, but then wouldn’t that make you sad that they aren’t there? Or will you just forget that they ever existed? Perhaps if you pray for them enough, they can be saved? I don’t know.

Even if they are not in Heaven, you will not be saddened by that fact because everyone in Hell chose to be there. You also won’t be sad because you will recognize that Gods justice has been perfectly served, and His mercy has been perfectly realized.

I know it’s hard to comprehend on this side of eternity, but regardless of where your loved ones wind up, if you’re in Heaven you will be perfectly happy and content. Not because you’ve forgotten them, but because you recognize that they are where they chose to be.

Also, you can always pray for people who don’t know God. You should always pray for them.

I pray and hope I will. But ultimately it is in God’s hands, not ours.

Who is to judge whom the kuffar is?.Smug on Earth as we shall be smug in Heaven it seems.

There’s nothing smug about any of these posts…

The OP asks if we will see people who reject God in Heaven, and if we don’t, will that make us sad? How is that smug?

We answered that someone who definitively rejects God will not be in Heaven, we will not be sad about it, and that we should pray for people who don’t know / reject God. How is that smug?

I expect it depends on whether they are living a good life.
Which would also apply to a Christian, or someone of any other religion.

Hi!

…yeah, some people do have problems with such eventualities… some even grasp at Scriptures in an attempt to “save” those who reject God’s Salvific Plan…

…I hope to not be morbid in my post… but consider the issue of drugs, alcohol, and sex… people know that consuming drugs and alcohol can lead to death… yet they not only consume but abuse these things (drugs include cigarettes and other such products); people know that sexual encounters can end in contracting stds–some not only embrace that immoral lifestyle but also promote it, in spite that so many families and lives are destroyed by such practices…

Salvation requires that we put a halt to all of that nonsense and to subject our will to God’s Will–well, that’s one thing many do not want to do! They will rush to perilous adventures in willful disregard of health, life, and the wellbeing of their “loved” ones.

While it is true that through the Believers efforts others may find their way to God, God will not force Salvation onto anyone.

Through our prayers the Holy Spirit may work to Convict the sinners… but, ultimately, it is the sinners’ determination to heed God’s Call or to reject it.

Maran atha!

Angel

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.