Can a non-Catholic have things blessed?

Hello. :) I am not yet Catholic, but I always wear I crucifix. Can I have my crucifix blessed by a priest, or do I have to be fully Catholic in order to get it blessed? I read that I could obtain a partial indulgence by using a sacramental blessed by a priest.

God bless you for answering my question. :blessyou:

You could certainly ask a priest to bless your crucifix and use it devoutly. My guess is that the blessing will make it even more important to you and aid in your prayer. However, to receive an indulgence there are requirements regarding confession and communion (see here, for more info). I think your holy desire in this area is pleasing to God.

[quote="SuscipeMeDomine, post:2, topic:333318"]
You could certainly ask a priest to bless your crucifix and use it devoutly. My guess is that the blessing will make it even more important to you and aid in your prayer. However, to receive an indulgence there are requirements regarding confession and communion (see here, for more info). I think your holy desire in this area is pleasing to God.

[/quote]

Actually, confession and the Eucharist are requirements for plenary indulgences, in addition to being detached from all sin and praying for the intentions of the Pope.

The requirements for partial are: you must be in a state of grace and must have the intention to gain an indulgence. :thumbsup:

No, it wouldn’t be sinful and in your case as you wish to convert; commendable. :thumbsup:

[quote="bben15, post:1, topic:333318"]
Hello. :) I am not yet Catholic, but I always wear I crucifix. Can I have my crucifix blessed by a priest, or do I have to be fully Catholic in order to get it blessed? I read that I could obtain a partial indulgence by using a sacramental blessed by a priest.

God bless you for answering my question. :blessyou:

[/quote]

Well maybe you are not yet a full Catholic but you obviously understand the faith and the gifts left us by Jesus. There is nothing wrong for you to ask to have objects blessed in order to deepen your prayer and closeness to God.

Sacramentals are supposed to do just that, they are not magic, I say go ahead and have your crucifix and maybe even your rosary blessed :thumbsup:

Peace!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.