Can a non-Catholic receive Communion in this circumstance?

I have somewhat of a problem. My wife and I have been married for 25 years and will be attending a special celebration by our local Catholic church for those couples who are celebrating 25- and 50-year anniversaries. My wife is Catholic and we attend church every week. Since I have never become a Catholic, I sit alone while my wife goes up to receive Communion. Here is my problem.

I’m fairly certain that most of the other couples at the upcoming celebration are all Catholics and will go up as a couple to receive Communion. For this special occasion, I don’t want to sit alone, while my wife has to go up by herself to receive Communion. My wife has never placed pressure on me to become a Catholic (she’s just happy that I attend). Is there any way that I can recieve Communion for this occasion?

Your question does not mention whether or not you have been baptized. Your Profile indicates that you have no religion. If you have not been baptized, you cannot receive Communion under any circumstances until such time as you are baptized. (Baptism is the gateway to the other sacraments.) If you are a baptized Christian, here are the special circumstances under which non-Catholic Christians may receive Communion in a Catholic church:

If there is a danger of death or if, in the judgement of the diocesan bishop or of the episcopal conference, there is some other grave and pressing need, Catholic ministers may lawfully administer these same sacraments to other Christians not in full communion with the Catholic Church, [under the following conditions] [1] who cannot approach a minister of their own community and [2] who spontaneously ask for them, [3] provided that they demonstrate the Catholic faith in respect of these sacraments and [4] are properly disposed (canon 844 §4, Code of Canon Law, emphases and glosses added).

You are free to approach your wife’s pastor and ask if he will approach the bishop for permission for you to receive Communion on this occasion. I can only say that, from your report here of the circumstances, it does not appear to me that your case (in which you state a desire merely to avoid feeling “left out” and do not apparently “demonstrate the Catholic faith” in the Eucharist) qualifies as a “grave and pressing need” for Communion and meets the other requirements for reception of the Blessed Sacrament.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.