Can a non-catholic receive extreme unction?

Can a non-catholic receive the sacrament of anointing the sick? My father in-law is very ill but is not a catholic. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Tony

[quote=tparsons]Can a non-catholic receive the sacrament of anointing the sick? My father in-law is very ill but is not a catholic. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Tony
[/quote]

Tony,

I’ll say a prayer for him.

Valid baptism is the first requirement to receive a sacrament for anyone.

Beyond that, the case of non Catholics would be described in canon 844. Since your father is seriously ill, I recommend your immediate step would be to approach the parish priest. He will be responsible for evaluating the situation concretely in light of canon law and any diocesan law.

For general information only, I will present the relevant paragraphs of that canon.

Paragraph 3 addresses Eastern Orthodox, and the Apostolic See has determined that polish National Catholic Church in the United States and Canada to be in the same condition.

“Canon 844 §3. Catholic ministers administer the sacraments of penance, Eucharist and anointing of the sick licitly to members of Eastern Churches which do not have full communion with the Catholic Church if they seek such on their own accord and are properly disposed. This is also valid for members of other Churches which in the judgment of the Apostolic See are in the same condition in regard to the sacraments as these Eastern Churches.”

Otherwise, the situation is that of paragraph 4.

“Canon 844 §4. If the danger of death is present or if in the judgment of the diocesan bishop or the conference of bishops, some other grave necessity urges it, Catholic ministers administer these same sacraments licitly also to other Christians not having full communion with the Catholic Church, who cannot approach a minister of their own community and who seek such of their own accord, provided that they manifest Catholic faith in these sacraments and are properly disposed.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.