Can a person be unsaved?

This question came up during RCIA last week. Can a person be unsaved? I first thought no, but then someone said what if they renounce their faith? Looking for the communities’ thought on this.

As I’ve heard someone say before, you’re not “saved” until your butt’s in heaven!

As long as we have free will, we can reject salvation freely. Once we are in heaven, our will is of necessity perfectly aligned with the divine will.

Hmmm, I was thinking more along the lines of even though you abandon God, He will never abandon you. He is the only one who knows what is in the deepest corners of your heart. And I’m not sure that you would deny Him on your deathbed. Although I’m sure some claim to have.

2 Peter 2:20
Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)
For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world through the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overpowered, the last state has become worse for them than the first.

We do not use so much that terminology.

One can commit a Mortal sin (and yes denying Jesus is one such mortal sin --a very bad one --as Paul put it “if we deny him he will deny us” (from memory I do not have exact quote at the moment).

They are thus fallen into mortal sin from a state of life…

But while they still draw breath – the can be forgiven and given true life again by the Good Shepherd.

On this side of heaven, yes. :harp::heaven::knight1:

That’s true. God will never abandon us. But he will not drag us into heaven against our will, kicking and screaming that we don’t want him! If he did, it would not be heaven.

1 Timothy 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth

No, because one is not saved until one is judged after death.

John 6:66

Do you feel this would be in reference to a final apostasy?

That would be one of the meanings. As well, consider Judas. He was “saved.” He was given power to cast out demons and to heal. Yet, he misused his free will and betrayed the Lord. We know that it would be better for him if he had never been born.

From this, we see that salvation is a final state, and a process that is life-long.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.