Can A Person Healed By Our Lord of Same-Sex Attraction Ever Become A Canonized Saint?

It seems to me that in our times, those who suffer with same-sex attraction and want to live holy lives should truly be held up as Models in the Church IF Our Lord Does bring them Out Of The Condition and they go on to lead lives of great virtue. They could encourage so many others to follow suit.

So, the Question is: " Is The Catholic Church Permitted To Canonize Such As These, Provided of course That They Meet All The Other Necessary Criterion?"

And, if NOT…how do YOU feel about it? Thanks!

THERESA

St Augustine was basically a sex addict for more than 20 years.

St. Paul was a persecutor of Christians, Venerable Matt Talbot struggled greatly with alcoholism, etc. There’s a quick read book called Saints Behaving Badly, which biographies a lot of saints who weren’t living holy lives before their conversion (said with a touch of humility, as I’m not perfect either).

The Catholic Church can & will canonize those it discerns are in heaven with God. There is no reason the Church can’t or won’t canonize if the criteria is met.

Yes I believe that someone may be canonized who suffers from same-sex attraction. I don’t even believe they have to be healed. If by healed you mean they no longer have those urges. They can still be a saint by turning to God in their weakness.

Technically anyone who is in heaven is a saint. The church officially recognizes certain people as saints in order to provide us with role models for one
. So of all the people in heaven there must certainly be some who have overcome acting on homosexual desires as well as heterosexual desires, murderous desires and anything else that breaks the ten commandments. Remember feeling attracted to someone is not the sin acting on it is and that goes for any anyone.

This I find interesting… So if a person sins after his/ her conversion all is lost… at least the person will never become a saint according to the Church, or what?
See the interesting thing is I sinned gravely AFTER my conversion to Christ and it nearly killed me. One of the reasons why my whole Christian life has not been the same since then is that I have had an underlying thought that “I failed” at becoming a saint. (I was converted through reading saint- and mystic -books by the way)…

As for the OP’s question. My answer is yes, and I think you are right. Many have disorders and diseases… homosexuality, though thought by some to be like a modern day leprosy, is no graver than all the others that we struggle with.

Peace. :slight_smile:

Grace -
Come on, stop beating yourself up. If conversion was something accomplished in an instant, there would be no need for the sacrament of Reconciliation.

Today, try to live a holy life from this day forward. Tomorrow, do the same thing. Continue. Being Catholic is all about forgiveness and new beginnings.

Wow…Grace raises a truly interesting point! Are there any known Canonized Saints who DID fall again into Serious Sin AFTER their Conversion and then recover and were STILL Canonized? I know that venial sin is something we will always fall into, but Serious Sin?

I say yes, they can. It’s all about being chaste.:thumbsup:

In a way I would have to point to my good old friend Simon Peter… he was converted and then comitted the sin of betrayal… and then was brought back on his feet and then fell into another sin that was so big in Pauls eyes that Paul thought it wise to scold him, the pope, infront of all the brothers… Who ever heard about a Pope that was greater than Peter… yet he fell a few times and was canonized big time…?
But Peter was back then … what about now?

I have experienced through my own pride and contrition (both in play) that I started giving up on the idea of becoming a saint… and letting laxity get into my faith life because I thought all was lost through one grave fall… Before that fall I thought I was moving forward and God had big plans for me… now I dont know anything anymore but have spiritually thrown up my arms in the air while pointing to the others that they now carry the load of salvation and glory and joy in the Lord… While I failed.

Say what if Mary of Magdala (my saint) had fallen, just once, back into sin… just one night of prostitution? would she have been a saint… or would she have been forgotten?

Grace…what you said about St. Peter really says it all, I think.
A man who actually lived among the Apostles, became the first Pope, and was taught directly by Jesus Himself, fell and fell and STILL became a Saint! Maybe the lesson is to never do a Judas Exit, but to believe in the Mercy of God to continue to lead us forward, in spite of all our mess-ups.

In the Book, Consecration to Jesus through Mary, by St. Louis de Montfort, on pages 111, and 112 it says…“there is always a great temptation to discouragement and distrust even after our sins are forgiven…like Jesus will never really give us the Graces that were meant for us now, because we spoiled it, and that the certain height we formerly Could have reached is now out of our grasp” (not the exact words, but close enough) The point being that they call this feeling a Temptation and one that needs to be seen for what it really is…A lack of Confidence in the Mercy of God.
Cardinal Billot says, "the penitent can receive something EVEN GREATER than one who has Never sinned in such ways, in that the one who Has sinned greatly, repents and then devotes himself/herself to works of mercy wholeheartedly for God for the rest of their life, whereas the person who Never sinned thus might not be so virtuous, taking for granted their state before God.

What do you think, Grace? THERESA

Same-sex attraction is not a sin, it is a temptation to sin. We all have temptations, that is merely another one albeit an especially difficult one to bear (as are all disordered sexual attractions). Giving in to that temptation is a sin, but the temptation itself is not a sin.

Most canonized saints have struggled mightily against serious temptations. Their victory over those temptations is one of the reasons why they are saints.

I see no reason why a Christian who resists and overcomes the temptation of same-sex attraction could not be canonized even if they are never “healed” of the attraction.

God bless,
Paul

I think your teachers are full of wisdom and you may become like them if you continue to learn from them :slight_smile: God bless you dear sister.
I have often experienced in the last year that when I finally read something about the Mercy of Jesus I would weep and say:“Get outta here! 'leave me alone for I am a sinful woman and You cant be THAT GOOD Jesus”… …

And yes I have been tempted and given into the temptation that St Louis talks about… I am in its grasp… maybe even voluntarily… who knows anymore? I dont know that I can fight or want to… yes, its my will that is lacking… I dont want God the way I used to pine away with longing for Him… Its like… I have been shaken out of balance and cant find my own two feet anymore since then.

Now… I exist more than I live… I used to exist when I was not a Christian… then Jesus came… and being with Jesus was living… now I have been falling back into existence and I dont know how to get out of it again…

But maybe we should not talk about me here…
I mean… the thread was something completely different.

In my oppinion I think the homosexual people who obey the Church are heroes… nothing less. Its amazing… I would never be so bold as to say that I would certainly do the same if my feeling of fulfilled love lay with being with a woman instead of with a man. I also feel sorry for the homosexuals because I feel they are stigmatized in many ways… unintentionally many times, but still.

Peace to you all.

Ps. This is the kind of uplifting threads that I find to be such a blessing :slight_smile:

Being a saint is all about being in heaven. If you are in heaven you are a Saint. I think we all agree on this one. If Sainthood is lost due to sin after conversion than I would say most of us are lost. I know I would be.

But this isn’t the point is it… the point is perseverance, humility, having a contrite heart while asking for forgiveness. All is well after Reconcilliation so we begin again.

If I were a betting man (whuich I’m not) my bet would be on the fallen nature of man to over take most of us. BUt is our humility and contrite hearts that bring us back into the fold through confession.

Our Lord knows our hearts and minds better than we, and his Mercy far exceeds our own. Trust in him try your best, and pray, pray, pray.

Peace!

Good Post, Prodigal Son! I think the matter for us ladies is one of deep **emotional conviction **of God’s Having Loved us. It seems Personal, and so it is. So, hurting that love, I guess we feel like we have cheated on our one true love. Like an Adultress might feel. When the Church forgives us, we still need to “feel” Jesus Himself has personally forgiven us. Guess that’s the part that hurts so much.

To make a long stary even shorter, the answer is “YES”. :slight_smile:

tp

I have one complaint about the question. The question makes the erroneous assumption that a same sex attraction is more intense than an opposite sex attraction while simultaneously suggesting that The Church is biased by gender preference in recognizing virtuous and saintly acts worthy of recognition. I reject any of those assumptions if they were intended or not.

That said, I am certain that a person with same-sex attraction could be cannonized and statistically speaking probably already has been - we just don’t know it. That is, we may not know of a particular saint’s personal internal and private struggles. The reason I say this is that a true saint is probably not running around telling everyone “hey everyone look at me I am the rare chaste gay inclined person!” A more “saintly lifestyle” would be to not run around broadcasting one’s proclivities (natural or not) but quietly working to overcome them.

On the other hand if there was a known homosexual who repented and then went on to become saintly and did amazing works and especially became a model for how one can overcome any same-sex proclivities I would think The Church would be HIGHLY inclined to recognized this person as a saint (assuming all the critera were met with miracles). Frankly, it is probably high time that The Church produced a saint who could become the patron saint for struggling homosexuals as a role model. Maybe there is one out there right now in the making. Would it not be grand to have a saint who could be a role model for overcoming unchaste behavior and in particular unnatural unchaste behavior? That would be a good role model for all single persons.

James

No one should be named a saint essentially for their denial of any one aspect of themselves–especially something as fundamental as sexuality.

It’s a tragedy that so many good people–good Catholics, oftentimes–end up ultimately isolated from themselves because of ecclesiastical or societal pressure rather than truly and fully embracing the person they were made to be in God.

But didn’t Jesus say that we must deny our very selves and take up our crosses? :rolleyes:

I think it is the very definition of saintliness to give up every aspect of ourselves that has a proclivity for sin and scandal.

Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Christ makes no distinction based on ethnic, class, or gender for those that become one in Christ.

But we know that those who cave into their vices to fornicate and perform any illicit sexual act and do not repent will not be counted among the saints.

James

You are pretty much stating the opposite of Christ

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.