Can a person in a state of mortal sin use holy water?

Does holy water still wash away venial sin if you are in a state of mortal sin?

Does it actually wash away venial sin?

[quote="SeanF1989, post:1, topic:335105"]

[/quote]

I don't think so.

[quote="Brendan_64, post:2, topic:335105"]
Does it actually wash away venial sin?

[/quote]

I think so.

How's that for confident answers!

No. Blessing oneself with holy water is a reminder of our baptism, which did cleanse the soul of original sin and, if older, all sin up to that date. While blessing oneself with holy water does not "wash" away sin, it can impart grace. Veniel sins should be confessed to God directly and/or to a priest.

Holy Water CAN cleanse us from venial sin

From Baltimore Catechism Lesson 27

What is a sacramental?

A sacramental is anything set apart or blessed by the Church to excite good thoughts and to increase devotion, and through these movements of the heart to remit venial sin.

Do the Sacramentals of themselves remit venial sins?

The Sacramentals of themselves do not remit venial sins, but they move us to truer devotion, to greater love for God and greater sorrow for our sins, and this devotion, love and sorrow bring us grace, and the grace remits venial sins.

How may persons sin in using Sacramentals?

Persons may sin in using Sacramentals by using them in a way or for a purpose prohibited by the Church; also by believing that the use of Sacramentals will save us in spite of our sinful lives. We must remember that Sacramentals can aid us only through the blessing the Church gives them and through the good dispositions they excite in us. They have, therefore, no power in themselves, and to put too much confidence in their use leads to superstition.

Which is the chief sacramental used in the Church?

The chief sacramental used in the Church is the sign of the cross.

What is a common fault with many in blessing themselves?

A common fault with many in blessing themselves is to make a hurried motion with the hand which is in no way a sign of the cross. They perform this act of devotion without thought or intention, forgetting that the Church grants an indulgence to all who bless themselves properly while they have sorrow for their sins.

What other sacramental is in very frequent use?

Another sacramental in very frequent use is holy water.

What is holy water?

Holy water is water blessed by the priest with solemn prayer to beg God's blessing on those who use it, and protection from the powers of darkness.

[quote="SeanF1989, post:1, topic:335105"]

[/quote]

If you are aware of having committed a mortal sin (with all conditions present, meaning full knowledge, deliberate consent, etc.) and you still chose to not repent, experience contrition, and do not have a desire to confess as soon as possible - and yet, despite it all, you still wish to use a sacramental to aid in forgiveness of a venial sin, then clearly this will accomplish nothing.

It would be like committing a major offense against someone and then later asking him to forgive us for some minor offense committed against him...he'd say: I am most willing to forgive everything, but should you not first ask forgiveness for that major offense, and then worry about the minor things?

The truth is that it is oftentimes hard to determine when we are in a "state of mortal sin" - which technically means deprived of the sanctifying grace - because oftentimes contrition and the intention to confess moves the Lord to mercifully restore sanctifying grace in us right away. As St. Joan of Arc replied to her captors:

"If I am not in the state of grace, may God put me there; and if I am, may God so keep me."

To repent and seek forgiveness of sins, in fact to live with a penitent heart, is always most pleasing to Christ, who seeks even the smallest, most minute act of love to grant a superabundance of grace!

[quote="R_C, post:6, topic:335105"]
If you are aware of having committed a mortal sin (with all conditions present, meaning full knowledge, deliberate consent, etc.) and you still chose to not repent, experience contrition, and do not have a desire to confess as soon as possible - and yet, despite it all, you still wish to use a sacramental to aid in forgiveness of a venial sin, then clearly this will accomplish nothing.

It would be like committing a major offense against someone and then later asking him to forgive us for some minor offense committed against him...he'd say: I am most willing to forgive everything, but should you not first ask forgiveness for that major offense, and then worry about the minor things?

The truth is that it is oftentimes hard to determine when we are in a "state of mortal sin" - which technically means deprived of the sanctifying grace - because oftentimes contrition and the intention to confess moves the Lord to mercifully restore sanctifying grace in us right away. As St. Joan of Arc replied to her captors:

"If I am not in the state of grace, may God put me there; and if I am, may God so keep me."

To repent and seek forgiveness of sins, in fact to live with a penitent heart, is always most pleasing to Christ, who seeks even the smallest, most minute act of love to grant a superabundance of grace!

[/quote]

Great answer! :thumbsup:

St Thomas Aquinas says that venial sins cannot be forgiven if you are in a state of mortal sin.

I answer that, As stated above (Question 87, Article 3), there is no remission of any sin whatever except by the power of grace, because, as the Apostle declares (Romans 4:8), it is owing to God’s grace that He does not impute sin to a man, which a gloss on that passage expounds as referring to venial sin. Now he that is in a state of mortal sin is without the grace of God. Therefore no venial sin is forgiven him.

Source: newadvent.org/summa/4087.htm#article4

[quote="Zekariya, post:8, topic:335105"]
St Thomas Aquinas says that venial sins cannot be forgiven if you are in a state of mortal sin.

[/quote]

It would be very contradictory if it was otherwise. Complete separation from God is exactly that complete separation, which is what results from mortal sin.

Regular Confession is essential.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.