Can a person... Unpriest and marry in the church?

I remebered a show I saw a year or so ago, after the big priest scandel, and one of the stories was one of a Preist and a Nun who fell in love and ummm… Unclegysied themshelves, married in the church, now have some my age group kids (I think) and are still happily practing Catholics. My question is, Can that accually happen or was that something made up for T.V.?

[quote=Montie Claunch]I remebered a show I saw a year or so ago, after the big priest scandel, and one of the stories was one of a Preist and a Nun who fell in love and ummm… Unclegysied themshelves, married in the church, now have some my age group kids (I think) and are still happily practing Catholics. My question is, Can that accually happen or was that something made up for T.V.?
[/quote]

Montie, a priest can not “unclergy” himself. If he marries without having been officially laicized by the Church, it’s my understanding that such a marriage would be illicit.

[quote=FCEGM]Montie, a priest can not “unclergy” himself. If he marries without having been officially laicized by the Church, it’s my understanding that such a marriage would be illicit.
[/quote]

But how does a preist Laicized? I thought there was a vow there? histaric confusion setting in

[quote=Montie Claunch]But how does a preist Laicized? I thought there was a vow there? histaric confusion setting in
[/quote]

There is a vow of Obedience and Chastity. I don’t think it can happen, but I may be wrong.

[quote=jimmy]There is a vow of Obedience and Chastity. I don’t think it can happen, but I may be wrong.
[/quote]

They do not take VOWS of chastity (permanent and unbreakable), but PROMISES. Very different.

I think there are two issues that need to be addressed by the priest. First, he would request to be removed from ministry. Then, if and ONLY IF, that is granted, he could request to be dispensed from his vow of celibacy. The first is the laiciztion (not even sure if that is a real word!!). I know that the Vatican must approve a priest being released from his vow of celibacy and I think they have to approve the laicization too. For a while, the requests for release of the vow of celibacy was pretty automatic if the request for laicization had been granted. It has tighted up somewhat recently.

BTW, the media (big surprize!!) has tried to twist ther spin on this process when they report on priestly sexual abuse. They will often cry “foul” that a particular priest hasn’t been laicized yet when, in fact, they have been submitted to the Vatican and are waiting the final approval to laicize.

Since a nun’s vow isn’t tied to an indelible Sacrament (Holy Orders) I think her Bishop or the Superior of her order could release her.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.