Can A Priest Bless my Computer?

Hi Everyone,

Im just curious if this is possible. I need my computer to do some exam prep as I have an exam in a week. Unfortunately my computer is going nuts. It keeps spoiling, I'm a computer technician myself and everytime I fix it something goes wrong after. I've been fixing it day and noght for the last week and today I gave up. Ive been working with computers for 6 years and this is the first time I'm experiencing anything like this. Just a random string of continous problems, which are not related to each other. I've even spoken to other computer guys and it just puzzles them.

I'd like to get it blessed, and hopefully when I fix it after that it will remain fixed. I Also have a couple rosaries to get blessed, but im not sure if the computer could be blessed as well.

Please advise, Thanks.

Hi Everyone,

Im just curious if this is possible. I need my computer to do some exam prep as I have an exam in a week. Unfortunately my computer is going nuts. It keeps spoiling, I’m a computer technician myself and everytime I fix it something goes wrong after. I’ve been fixing it day and noght for the last week and today I gave up. Ive been working in the computers for 6 years and this is the first time I’m experiencing anything loke this.

I’d like to gwt it blessed, and hopefully when I fix it after that it will remain fixed. I Also have a couple rosaries to get blessed, but im not sure if the computer coukd be blessed as well.

Please advise, Thanks.

A priest can bless just about anything. Holy water can also be used for blessing...but I am not sure it is a good idea to get your computer wet!

If it’s giving you that much trouble, maybe it’s time to buy/build a new one?

That said, I kind of like that idea. Maybe doing that will help keep me away from… illicit sites.

I doubt blessing the computer would make it work again, though, if it did, I would count that as a miracle. Blessings are really only for thanking God for an item and making a commitment to use the item for the Glory of God. This is why secular items, such as a computer/laptop, are probably not good candidates for being blessed.

I would suggest either looking into getting a new laptop, study in the school library on one of their computers, or seeing if a friend will let you borrow theirs. I would also suggest praying about your situation. Perhaps praying the rosary along with a prayer to Saint Isidore, the patron saint of computers.

And, if you can only use your computer, then I would also suggest talking to your professor, explain the situation, and see if you could possibly get an extension if you feel it is necessary.

Maybe have this priest bless your computer… goodguyswearblack.org/2011/07/04/tentmaking-today-the-bi-vocational-priest/

:wink:

I know someone who has every new laptop he buys, blessed by a priest. When he is ready to upgrade, he donates the blessed laptop to a seminarian or priest who may need one, and tells them that it is a blessed item, knowing that they will treat it appropriately.

Yes - a priest can bless your computer.

~Liza

Asking a priest to bless your computer can’t hurt but it shouldn’t replace having it seen by a qualified technician. Depending on what the technician said, you might have to change the computer. Unfortunately computers don’t last forever. In addition since computers and water generally don’t mix, you might want to have your priest bless it with the computer inside its case, box etc.

There was a previous thread on this subject, and prompted by that, I asked our priest whether or not he blessed his IPad. He said that he did not, because he would have no control over how it (now a blessed object) would be used after he got a new one and gave the old one away.

The Book of Blessings has two blessings that seem appropriate for a computer.

Chapter 23 Order for the Blessing of Technical Installations or Equipment. The examples in the introduction sound bigger than a computer: “for example a central energy source or power house, a reservoir or water system, a seismograph”. But certainly a computer is technical equipment.

An alternative is Chapter 24 Order for the Blessing of Tools or Other Equipment for Work.

Both ceremonies can have a priest, deacon or lay minister as the presider.

Reference: Book of Blessings, Liturgical Press, Minnesota, 1989, ISBN 0-8146-1875-8, page 331-345.

Thanks everyone, the next time I see a priest I will ask for more details on whether he can do it. Thanks again.

You don’t seem to understand the situation, I am a qualified technician and there is nothing normal about the computers behaviour, and my contacts who are also qualified technicians also cannot solve this. SO this is why I believe a blessing could help.

You got nothing to loose by trying to ask him. If he is dubious about the computer then think about having the room that your computer is in, blessed.... It may be the environement that is not helping and if the Priest can come and pray there then it may sort itself. good luck

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.