Can a priest keep a nice car? A sports car?

Can priests keep a nice car, granted that they can afford to pay and maintain it? Let’s say, especially it is their hobby? Or do they have to make a vow of poverty / moderation?

Would it be okay if a priest pulled up in a Porsche, M3 or Mustang convertible? (Hypothetically)

Secular, i.e. diocesan, priests take no vow of poverty. Yes, they could buy, or keep if given, a nice car. If their bishop had other policies or thought it unseemly and told them to sell/get rid of the car, then through obedience they would need to do so.

Religious priests take a vow of poverty and do not own possessions. If their order owned a nice car, they might have the ability to drive it.

[quote="1ke, post:2, topic:317660"]
Secular, i.e. diocesan, priests take no vow of poverty. Yes, they could buy, or keep if given, a nice car. If their bishop had other policies or thought it unseemly and told them to sell/get rid of the car, then through obedience they would need to do so.

Religious priests take a vow of poverty and do not own possessions. If their order owned a nice car, they might have the ability to drive it.

[/quote]

What's the difference between the two kinds of priests you mentioned? I always thought that priests were priests, and that the vows to poverty, chastity and obedience were universal among them.

I’m just picturing my parish priest zooming around in a red sports car with the top down and sunglasses on!!! With one eyebrow raised!!

:rotfl:

Yes You can as Diocescan Priests do not take vows of poverty. :thumbsup:

Secular priests make no vows at all: they make promises. Vows are only for religious. Secular, or diocesan priests, are those who serve in a parish or diocesan structure under the bishop, their ordinary. Regular or religious priests are those who live by a rule (thus "regular") and in a religious institute or order. Their ordinary is the major superior or abbot of the house.

There are diocosen (sp?) priests and priests who belong to religious orders. Their vows are different. While the former are not bound by vows of poverty, it would be unseemly to be seen to be inordinately attached to material items.

I’m not sure if a sports car would cover that. For example, I own a 1980 (engine rebuilt - for people who scoff at that year :p) Corvette that is basically worth $5000. Hardly a luxury vehicle, and yet, when I drive it I sure do get stares. I guess my point is that if we don’t know for sure whether the material item is basically worthless, a gift from a relative, etc. we don’t need to worry ourselves over it.

"a sport car?" Let read it positively. He may need a fast vehicle for longer distant church. It is a car, a transport for ministry. However, it seems commendable in its type and fashion. If the vehicle originally purchased or kept for unnecessary intention and in contrary to the ministry, I would call that materialism possessiveness. I think that is morally wrong in perspective of the nature of his ministerial priesthood.:whacky:

As others have already mentioned that, yes, a Secular Priest may own a sports/luxury car provided that it is okay with their Ordinary as well. Yet, even with that, the Priest should also consider whether or not it woud be prudent to own one. Let's say Father is pastor of a parish in a low income neighborhood, he drives up a brand new sports car, his parishioners start talking and questioning him. If such a purchase were to cause his flock to be scandalized(a sin) and to gossip ( also a sin), then one would think it to be wise for the good Father to sell it, or at the least, store it for use at a more appropriate time.

[quote="JuantheTuba, post:9, topic:317660"]
As others have already mentioned that, yes, a Secular Priest may own a sports/luxury car provided that it is okay with their Ordinary as well. Yet, even with that, the Priest should also consider whether or not it woud be prudent to own one. Let's say Father is pastor of a parish in a low income neighborhood, he drives up a brand new sports car, his parishioners start talking and questioning him. If such a purchase were to cause his flock to be scandalized(a sin) and to gossip ( also a sin), then one would think it to be wise for the good Father to sell it, or at the least, store it for use at a more appropriate time.

[/quote]

Yes that is correct and you are right in saying that. I think all priests are encouraged to have a type that suit the ministry that avoid leading to scandalizing.:thumbsup:

Our deacon has two very nice cars. He is diocesan. I have mixed feelings about it, however I don’t complain because they do offer to give me rides :smiley:

Priests should not flaunt or be attached to worldly things. I don’t think a priest needs a sports car to visit a sick person for anointing. Perhaps it is an extension of his teenage years before priesthood. I would like to see a priest be Christlike and not extravagant. Jesus went from town to town in sandals. Priests should be an example of being meek and humble. I think it is a big deal when parishioners notice and frown upon it. But I don’t know exactly how one can be forced to drive a different kind of car. There seems to be no rule against sport or luxury cars for clergy, at least diocesan.

Our associate pastor had a Toyota Supra back when I was in HS. We all thought he was cool. :cool:

Since cars (in the UK) tend to be the personal property of the priest, then provided he can afford it (not easy in my diocese where priests only earn £350 per month) then surely he can drive whatever car he likes?

If ever I become a priest, I don't think I'll want to get rid of my sporty Mazda MX5 - and I probably won't, on the basis that a visiting priest to my parish a few years ago also drove one. :)

[quote="latingirl, post:11, topic:317660"]
Our deacon has two very nice cars. He is diocesan. I have mixed feelings about it, however I don't complain because they do offer to give me rides :D

[/quote]

But presumably your deacon (assuming he is a permanent deacon) has or had a secular job and paid for the cars with his own money, not from a chuch salary in that deacons aren't normally compensated for their services to a parish, or only minimally in the form of a "stole fee" for Baptisms and weddings.

My priest is an auto junkie and has three cars, including a 71 Hemi Cuda, and a hybrid car that he built the engine too, as well as his regular car. I don't like it, but I guess it's okay. Its not like he's taking the sports car out for rides or using it for ministry. He actually used to drag race at a local track with it. If its his hobby I see nothing wrong with it. Just as long as it doesn't interfere with his work

[quote="1ke, post:2, topic:317660"]

[/quote]

Not all religious take vows of poverty, only mendicants.

Benedictine monastics do not vow poverty. These vow stability, obedience and ongoing conversion, but not poverty. They own exactly what the abbot of the monastery tells them to own as part of their vow of obedience. They are typically co-owners of all the property of the entire monastery so they can't really call themselves poor.

-Tim-

Priests can buy whatever they want with their own money.

I don't think that the Bishop can tell them what not to buy and what not to drive. The Bishop's authority extends to pastoral care and public worship, not what baseball teams they have like and what they can or cannot drive.

Many priests have worked in business before becoming priests and are quite wealthy.

-Tim-

[quote="TemplarKnight1, post:1, topic:317660"]
Can priests keep a nice car, granted that they can afford to pay and maintain it? Let's say, especially it is their hobby? Or do they have to make a vow of poverty / moderation?

Would it be okay if a priest pulled up in a Porsche, M3 or Mustang convertible? (Hypothetically)

[/quote]

When I was in middle school, the pastor of my parish and catholic school was given a brand new black Mercedes SL 500 convertible by his grandmother. Pretty awesome car for a priest.

Some parishioners were not happy with it, but he still drove it.

I'm glad I am not a priest and subject to such close scrutiny all the time. I remember how a family member used to complain because someone told her the priests at the Church ate steak for dinner and we ordinary folk couldn't afford that (despite the fact that she lived in a beautiful home and had two lovely cars, nice furnishings, etc.) I always wanted to say "Give me a break."

Most of us probably could cut back a little on our consumerism, and how many of us wouldn't like to have a few nicer things? I mean, really?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.