Can a priest run in politics?

Can a priest run in politics?
What if he really has good ideas that would make his community stronger. He could run as an independent. I don’t know, I was just thinking if I became a priest,** A BIG IF** :hmmm: , then I couldn’t run for office. Which to me, is harder then celibacy. :frowning: I really have good ideas that I believe could make this world stronger but I don’t know how to initialize them if I am not in politics. Does anyone know any thing a priest can do If politics are forbidden? Does anyone know a priest who did run for politics?
THANKS
D QUINTERO

[quote=D Quintero]Can a priest run in politics?
What if he really has good ideas that would make his community stronger. He could run as an independent. I don’t know, I was just thinking if I became a priest,** A BIG IF** :hmmm: , then I couldn’t run for office. Which to me, is harder then celibacy. :frowning: I really have good ideas that I believe could make this world stronger but I don’t know how to initialize them if I am not in politics. Does anyone know any thing a priest can do If politics are forbidden? Does anyone know a priest who did run for politics?
THANKS
D QUINTERO
[/quote]

Everybody thinks their ideas are the best thing since sliced bread. I sure know *I *do.

But, as a priest you *can *advocate for change. The pulpit can be pretty powerful. But I trust you will not take that power lightly! You’ll have to advocate the Catholic faith as purely as possible from your position as a priest. And, that may incidentally effect politics.

Anyway, as a politician, there’s not much you can do anyway. There’s so many other representatives that would have to agree with you. If you want change, start a movement, plant the seeds, let it grow. The problem is that this takes time. Otherwise, say you get swept into office. You still need to make all the other weasels (and I call politicians weasels in the nicest and most charitable way possible :)) agree with you. Much harder than it sounds. And it sounds hard. (Any type of *real *change is hard.)

I really don’t know what else to say.

[quote=D Quintero]Can a priest run in politics?
THANKS
D QUINTERO
[/quote]

A Priest is forbidden to hold public office in Canon Law.

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]A Priest is forbidden to hold public office in Canon Law.
[/quote]

Interesting though that Father Drinan was a Congressman from Massachusetts for a while.

Can’t he get dispensation to do so from his bishop? Like a priest can’t run a business, but some have gotten permission to sell a few things on line.

Anyway being a priest is a full time job. The souls of your parish are immensly important. That being said just pray and do what God wants you to do, not what you think you want to do yourself. Only he knows what can completly fulfill you.

[quote=stanley123]Interesting though that Father Drinan was a Congressman from Massachusetts for a while.
[/quote]

cathfam.org/polrec/Fr.Drinan1.html

[quote=stanley123]Interesting though that Father Drinan was a Congressman from Massachusetts for a while.
[/quote]

Fr. Drinan held office from 1971-1980. This was before the 1983 Code of Canon Law was in effect. I do not have the 1917 Code of Canon Law available for reference, but it is possible that the earlier code did not forbid priests to hold political office.

Interestingly, the current code doesn’t seem to absolutely forbid this either:

[quote= 1983 Code of Canon Law]Can. 287 §1 Clerics are always to do their utmost to foster among people peace and harmony based on justice.
[/quote]

§2 They are not to play an active role in political parties or in directing trade unions **unless, in the judgement of the competent ecclesiastical authority, this is required for the defence of the **
rights of the Church or to promote the common good.

(emphasis mine)

This seems to suggest that Bishops, religious superiors or other ecclesiastical authorities might permit priests to hold public offices under some circumstances.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.