Can a sin ever be erased?

I worked at a church a long time ago and while working there I fell several times and stole money from one of the collections for a Church ministry. I know the amount was under $500 at least… There is no excuse for what I did at all and I would give ANYTHING to make it be that this sin never happened. I have confessed the sin. I’m even planning on paying it back four fold and doing multiple penances for this sin. I still can’t believe that I fell and did this!! I just keep thinking about Judgement Day and everyone knowing what I did. Any advice?

You have confessed and are making restitution as well as doing penance. This is what is required and God will be pleased with your deteermination and efforts. The rest of us aren’t going to condemn you on Judgement day. We applaud your repentance, your resolution, and your restitution.

Can your sin be erased? Scripture answers you…

“If we say we have no sin in us, we are deceiving ourselves…but if we acknowledge our sins, then God who is faithful and just will forgive our sins and purify us from everything that is wrong.” [1John 1:8-10]

“Jesus Christ…is the sacrifice that takes our sins away, and not only ours, but the whole world.” [1John 2:1-2]

Our God, You sent Your Son “into the world, not to condemn the world, but so that through Him the world might be saved. No one who believes in Him will be condemned.” [John 3:17-18]

You assure us through Isaiah, our God,
“I have dispelled your faults like a cloud
your sins like a mist
Come back to me, for I have redeemed you.” [Isaiah 44:22]

Furthermore, You proclaim:
Happy those whose crimes are forgiven, whose sins are blotted out; happy the man whom the Lord considers sinless.” [Psalm 31:1-2] For through Your Son, You have “cancelled every record of the debt that we had to pay; He has done away with it by nailing it to the cross.” [Colossians 2:14-15]

Therefore, our God it is not presumptuous to ask that we may be healed of our faults and freed from our sin. Indeed, You have said:
“No need to recall the past,
no need to think about what was before.
See I am doing a new deed,
even now, it comes to light; can you not see it?
Yes, I am making a road in the wilderness,
paths in the wild.” [Isaiah 43:18-19]
Although we must strive through the Spirit to walk the way of Your Son, You assure us that we are not alone or dependent upon our efforts alone:

“For I, … your God,
I am holding you by the right hand;
I tell you, do not be afraid, I will help you.
Do not be afraid…poor worm…
the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer.” [Isaiah 41:13-14]

**“Cease to do evil. Learn to do good, search for justice, help the oppressed, be just to the orphan, and plead for the widow. **Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow.” [Isaiah 1:17-18]

They can never be erased but they can be forgiven.

I am a firm believer that sin, while not erasable, is reversible. Thus, through sanctifying grace and a life of reversed behavior, we can become more pleasing in God’s eyes than we were previously displeasing to Him. Many saints reversed early lives or habits of wickedness, folly, stupidity, obstinancy, self-indulgence, and more. Yet by their later actions & writings & miracles we assume that they are with God; thus, the stain of sin must have been overtaken by the brilliance of their later holiness.

Hey would you like to exchange sins… I get yours, you get mine?.. deal? :wink:

Who the son sets free is free indeed.
I have had the same thoughts as you" …everyone will know in eternity… I will know… I will look at my self always and who wants that kind of eternity anyway? thoughts of despair.
LOOK, lets give the Lord some credit, eh? Do you really think He would create such a heaven for us. How then could heaven be a place of happiness… how could it rightly be called heaven?
You gotta let go of your sin. The ones who dwell on their sins are going through hell already here on earth because this is the sign of hell… that you feel sorry and bitter forever.
Listen… your sins are far from being as embarrasing as many others… you stole dead things! for crying out loud… what if you stole someones life, innocense, mother, father, sister, child through drunkdriving, premarital sex, abortion, adultery, murder…
Are you aware of that we are ALL broken… broken into little pieces. WE ARE.
there are a few who dont know it yet and they scare the living thing out of the rest of us… but dont let them discourage you… they have their own way to go and will have their moment of dying too.

satan knows what he is doing playing with your mind, my friend… he wants to paralyse you. he wants to blot out the sound of Christ saying: BE LIGHT, FOR YOUR LIGHT HAS COME!
But here is more good news:
WE ALL wont care or bother to know or look at your sins in heaven. Okay? so dont worry about it.

We are not the sum of our failures and weaknesses but we are the sum of the Fathers love for us (-saint john paul 2)

Grace the Sinner

Once you have been to Confession and received absolution your sins are forgiven (removed) and the guilt lifted. You have to let go of the guilt.

One of the wonderful things about the sacrament of reconciliation is that not only are sins forgiven, but they are also forgotten by Christ. The temporal consequences of the sin might remain, but the actual sin has been erased from the metaphorical record books.

That being the case…you’re the one keeping the sin alive. Make amends to the ones you harmed and then leave this burden at the foot of the cross and go and sin no more.

Rest assured, if you’ve been to Confession… you ARE forgiven; The Church teaches, that this is so… through the very words of Our dear Lord, Jesus Christ.

“Amen, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” (Matthew 18:18)

I understand how you feel… about not being able to “forget” past sins. I think this is permitted by God, to teach us humility. It is necessary for us to remember how frail we are, as humans… and how easily we can fall… without Jesus in our lives. But with the Sacrament of Reconciliation… you have been forgiven. It’s wonderful that you are doing Penance AND making restitution. I’m sure this pleases God… very much. It has always been my hope… that once we make it to Heaven… our sins WILL be erased.

God bless you and Happy New Year! :snowing:

I believe that God allows us to fall for a reason…mostly to be humbled. God shows his greatness through our weaknesses…he took yours and not only are you sorry… now you want to make amends 4 fold! I think that’s pretty amazing! I think God is pleased with you (as my grandmother would say)…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.