Can Affirming Gay Christians Be Evangelical?

Russell Moore believes definitions are important, especially when it comes to terms like “Evangelical” and “gay Christian,” the prominent Southern Baptist leader recently revealed in a discussion about what he thinks is at the root of divergent beliefs about human sexuality among Christians.

“Evangelical,” according to this independent supplement to The AP Stylebook, “has generally come to mean Protestants who emphasize personal conversion; evangelism; the authority, primacy — and, usually — inerrancy of the Bible; and the belief that Jesus’ death reconciled God and humans” — a nugget summary, compared to Wheaton College’s extensive primer on “Evangelicalism.”

The authority, primacy and inerrancy (or reliability) of the Bible is at the heart of debates among Christians who argue either for or against the “sinfulness” of homosexual acts, according to Moore, president of the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention. Moore follows the long-held orthodox view that has called for the expression of human sexuality in the confines of monogamous heterosexual union.

Read more at christianpost.com/news/can-affirming-gay-christians-be-evangelical-russell-moore-says-no-and-not-to-expect-actual-evangelicals-to-change-their-minds-144266/#I15jrc8I3iJFivdy.99

One can be gay and a Christian, sure. Why not?

With everybody their own Pope and personal Magisterium, I don’t see how there will be any stopping them.

I agree one can be gay and a Christian even if they fall from time to time and repent. Why not? If they teach and still live an active gay lifestyle. Then they are deceiving themselves.

Do you mean a person who is actively living a gay life or someone who has same-sex attraction?

Guys, it’s not a question whether one can have homosexual attraction while living a life of chastity as befits a Christian. The controversy is over whether you can be both an evangelical Christian and affirm and embrace homosexuality as a normal (and ultimately “good”) variant of human sexuality.

The only way you can come to the conclusion that homosexuality is a normal part of God’s created order is to ignore or twist Scripture. Since evangelicals look to Scripture as the final authority in matters of faith and life, evangelical Christians will not affirm or embrace homosexuality as good.

Any so called evangelical who denies that homosexual acts are inherently sinful is a poser.

Attraction stictly. No, you can’t continue in homosexual acts and say you’re not sinning.

Someone who was famous said" let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Seems like he covered it.

There’s a HUGE difference between a homosexual who “slips up” every once and a while and one who lives an active homosexual lifestyle, has no remorse or intention to stop.

Okay then! Who has sole and exclusive authority to determine what is and is not part of Tradition, and who is protected by a charism of infallibility to define doctrines, for all Protestants?

Another thread pls , anyway as an answer to the top question, homosexuality is condemned by the Holy Scriptures, however , people can fall to temptation, including this one .

Look I think that calling being in a homosexual relationship sinning is sort of simplistic. I mean there are levels here. Are we talking about a guy who is sleeping around? Are we talking about a guy in a committed relationship? Are we talking about a guy who is married to a woman and then sometimes sneaks around to get some same-sex love on the side?

Ok, so maybe these are all sinning in a way, but sometimes it seems to me that God might understand a homosexual in a committed relationship. I don’t think they could or should get married but maybe their commitment to one another might mean something to God? I mean there is honor in commitment, right? I don’t know. I guess it would have to depend. I guess it would have to depend if the alternative was that they were not committed, but were still actively homosexual. I mean it can be really unfair to just tell one type of people they have to be celibate forever just because the people they are attracted to (and who are attracted to them) are the same sex. I mean telling people that really only gives them two options: give up any hope of intimicy forever or give up belief in God (or that kind of God). I mean is that really a fair choice?

But then since when was God really all that fair? I don’t know. I guess because I am really afraid of God I’m staying out of any relationships right now. I’m not pretending that I am ‘celibate’ in the strict sense, but at the same time I’m trying to be a good person. I’m trying not to hurt anyone. I’m trying to make God happy with me. It’s just hard. To have this leaning and also to have this command and then to have this yearning to be with someone else. Someone like me. Someone who understands. I mean who doesn’t want that?

Peace.

-Trident

Same and Ill add they can be evangelics as well.

I see “cafeteria” catholics doing it as well.

They can and they do. Not that I agree with their interpretation. Mathew Vines has a book “God and the Gay Christian: The Biblical Case in Support of Same-Sex Relationships” explaining his case which I haven’t read but I heard it is at least well written even if it is :eek: heresy :onpatrol: :D. went a little emoji crazy there forgive me

“Can Affirming Gay Christians Be Evangelical?” original or main question. You understand that the way in which you formed this question that you already have conceded the point that someone can be affirm his/her sexual preference and his/her christianity. Essentially you are implying there is no disjunct between these 2 propositions. Which is fine by me

How do you KNOW it is condemned? What makes you absolutely sure that you are reading the Scriptures correctly?

I’m very sure that God wrote the text clear enough for people to understand , it’s not hard too understand what Jesus meant when he said the words husband and wife when referring to marriage , or the prophets when they condemned homosexuality. And again off topic .

And yet, other Christians have interpreted it completely differently. How do you know the Holy Spirit has not guided them to the opposite, but correct, conclusion?

Because the text is plain , God does not lie to us in his Word , Others interprete it deferently because they want too , not because of any textual evidence.

Is John 6 plain as well? What about Matthew 19:9?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.