Can all sins be forgiven in Islam?

Is there an unpardonable sin in Islam that Allah will refuse to forgive?

I’ve read websites that quote the Quran saying things like those who brag about their sins in public won’t be forgiven.

What context is meant by scriptures like that? Is it meant that one shouldn’t bother repenting of this because it won’t be forgiven?..or is it meant in the context of those who brag with no future remorse for it?

BTW, here is the link to that. I don’t know if what is said here is what is actually taught in Islam or if this is just a misinterpretation from a scrupulous person:

answering-christianity.com/advertised_sins.htm

***Advertised personal sins will not be forgiven in Islam. Allah Almighty will not forgive the sins that are publicly disclosed and bragged about:

Muslims need to watch out from being proud and bragging about sins they have committed to gain worldly publicity and reputation among people. Such sins will not be forgiven by Allah Almighty. Let us look at what Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him said:

The following Hadith (Saying of the Prophet) was sent to me by brother Nuh Mikal Ba’th; may Allah Almighty always be pleased with him.

Narrated Abu Huraira: “I heard Allah’s Apostle saying. “All the sins of my followers will be forgiven except those of the Mujahirin (those who commit a sin openly or disclose their sins to the people). An example of such disclosure is that a person commits a sin at night and though Allah screens it from the public, then he comes in the morning, and says, ‘O so-and-so, I did such-and-such (evil) deed yesterday,’ though he spent his night screened by his Lord (none knowing about his sin) and in the morning he removes Allah’s screen from himself.” (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Good Manners and Form (Al-Adab), Volume 8, Book 73, Number 95)”***

Are you asking for an answer from a Catholic point of view, or an Islamic one?

I

Islamic

I thought this was Catholic Answers?

Peace.

The Qur’an teaches:

“Say: O my servants who have transgressed against their own selves! Despair not of the mercy of Allah, verily Allah forgives all sins. Truly he is oft forgiving, most merciful.” Az-Zumar (39:53)

Peace.

Is this a roundabout way of discussing something similar to the Catholic perfect contrition, or, rather the opposite? Someone who expresses pride in something obviously has no shame, no guilt, no beginnings of repentance. By being proud of their acts, they demonstrate a belief that forgiveness is unnecessary - they not believe their act is in any way wrong. Even if forgiveness was offered, it would not be accepted, as, in their minds, there was nothing to forgive.

This more of a clarifying question than an answer, I do not speak with any sort of authority.

An insightful post.

Repentance requires remorse, and turning to God in love, with the desire never to repeat that sin.

Seeking forgiveness necessitates that there is a desire for suppression of the tendency to sin, and covering up of the sin, due to being ashamed of one’s weakness.

Peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.