Can an Altar Rail be Used in the Ordinary Form?

I'm sure that it can, but even in the most conservative parish in my area that hosts a EF Mass on Sundays they don't use it during their other Masses. It seems to me that it would just be too much of a hassle given that standing is the ordinary form and that priests would have to accommodate those who want to receive standing. So is this done? And if it is, is it more prevalent in other areas?

[quote="smndtupidisaftr, post:1, topic:309211"]
I'm sure that it can, but even in the most conservative parish in my area that hosts a EF Mass on Sundays they don't use it during their other Masses. It seems to me that it would just be too much of a hassle given that standing is the ordinary form and that priests would have to accommodate those who want to receive standing. So is this done? And if it is, is it more prevalent in other areas?

[/quote]

Yes of course it can. At St. Joseph's Oratory in Montreal the crypt church has an altar rail and people use it at Mass; some prefer to receive standing but many kneel at the rail. Only OF Masses there.

Our Lady of Sorrows in McAllen, Texas, uses the altar rail in their old church for Daily Mass.

St John Cantius in Chicago, for the Ordinary Form in both English and Latin

Holy Rosary in Indianapolis does it all the time.:thumbsup: Those who want/need to stand, stand; most kneel. One can receive either in the hand or on the tongue. It works out great!

When I went to school at Ave Maria University the Oratory parish has an altar rail up front which is used in the ordinary use. People would approach for communion and could stand or kneel to receive, it worked out find. Most people would kneel to receive in the ordinary use there.

[/quote]

IME of attending a parish where the altar rail is used for both the EF and the OF there is no issue. Most kneel and some stand. Even at the exclusively EF chapels I've attended there are some who stand for medical reasons. It's never been an issue there either. There is no reason not to use the altar rail.

Holy Rosary in Houston, TX, uses the altar rail at all masses. I have never seen anyone stand.

of course. In fact, whether you stand or kneel at the rail, it's a lot quicker distribution.

=smndtupidisaftr;10165359]I'm sure that it can, but even in the most conservative parish in my area that hosts a EF Mass on Sundays they don't use it during their other Masses. It seems to me that it would just be too much of a hassle given that standing is the ordinary form and that priests would have to accommodate those who want to receive standing. So is this done? And if it is, is it more prevalent in other areas?

YES!:)

[quote="superamazingman, post:9, topic:309211"]
of course. In fact, whether you stand or kneel at the rail, it's a lot quicker distribution.

[/quote]

This alone should be sufficient reason to bring back the altar rail for Holy Communion.

[quote="JGMendes4049, post:11, topic:309211"]
This alone should be sufficient reason to bring back the altar rail for Holy Communion.

[/quote]

agreed.

Absolutely yes. I am in a small parish that has historical status and never removed the altar rail. We don't do the EF Mass, just the ordinary Mass. Everyone receives kneeling at the rail (or standing at the rail if they have physical difficulty kneeling). There's another larger parish in town that is also operates like this.

Yes when i go to Ireland they have the alter rails and the congregational go up and kneel down to receive communion

"In fact, whether you stand or kneel at the rail, it's a lot quicker distribution."

I haven't seen evidence of this, actually...and I've attended OF, EF, and OF in Latin...what I find is that, since only the Priest distributes in the EF, it doesn't really take any more or less time than the line-em-up method of the OF, since that form usually employs multiple distributors.

I was in Amsterdam and they received Communion kneeling at the altar rail-- in the hand!

Kind of an odd combo!

[quote="mburn16, post:15, topic:309211"]
"In fact, whether you stand or kneel at the rail, it's a lot quicker distribution."

I haven't seen evidence of this, actually...and I've attended OF, EF, and OF in Latin...what I find is that, since only the Priest distributes in the EF, it doesn't really take any more or less time than the line-em-up method of the OF, since that form usually employs multiple distributors.

[/quote]

But here's the thing: in most of those cases, the multiple distributors are EMHCs. If it can be done in the same amount of time without them, then it'd be very illicit to use them. That's the difference. You can do the same thing, without EMHCs. That's important.

[/quote]

Yes, I sometimes go to the Latin Mass in the ordinary form where everyone kneels at the altar rail. The altar rail is in my experience faster and it is only the priest that gives out communion.

[quote="ringil, post:16, topic:309211"]
I was in Amsterdam and they received Communion kneeling at the altar rail-- in the hand!

Kind of an odd combo!

[/quote]

Did you visit De Papegaai (Church of St. Peter and St. Paul)? It's almost hidden (because it was built when Catholicism was still outlawed) in the middle of a busy shopping street.

[quote="mburn16, post:15, topic:309211"]

[/quote]

The use of EMHC's at every Mass is an abuse. The Holy Father said in one of his documents that EMHC's are not supposed to be used at every Sunday Mass. Somewhere people got the idea that Sunday Mass is only supposed to be an hour, and it's better to get it down to less than an hour, so EMHC's got introduced into every Mass to "save time".

Using the Altar rail and only have the priest distribute is actually quicker and more efficient.

BTW: Altar rails and standing to receive communion was never part of the reforms of Vatican II.

*Using the Altar rail and only have the priest distribute is actually quicker and more efficient.

I would like to agree with you, although I can't picture that at my parish. We have about 800 to 1200 at each Mass. Most :blush: do receive Holy Communion, and there is one priest and as many as eight EHMC's assisting.

Regrettably, there is one priest scheduled for 45 minutes of confession weekly in a Parish of 12,000. Typically, there are about thirty to fifty in line. I hope there are a lot seeing a priest by appointment. :o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.