Can an anulled Catholic date...?

I received a decree of nullity about three years ago, but have not considered dating until now. I don’t want to start out on the wrong foot, after being alone for six years.

Is it okay to date divorced people who were not married in a Catholic Church, but are Christian? Since they are not Catholic, it’s highly unlikely that they will have applied for a Decree of Nullity from the Catholic Church.

The reason I ask is that I don’t know any Catholics who also have Decrees of Nullity, aside from one man. It appears my options are quite limited, hence the question about dating potential non-Catholic non-annulled persons.

Hi,

People who have annulments are free to date. They may not date divorced people because
the state does not have the authority to dissolve what God has joined together. The Church does recognize marriages between non-Catholics as ordinarily valid.

There are many people out there who's spouses have died. You are in our prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.```

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.