Can an extra-ordinary Eucharistic Minister give a blessing during holy communion?

Please can you let me know if an extra-ordinary Eucharistic minister can give a blessing to a parishioner that is unable for whatever reason to receive holy communion. This seems to be happening in our parish at the moment. My mother believes that cannon law states that only the ordained can give a blessing and when she has raised this with one of the other lay members of our parish was told that our Diocese does allow lay members to give a blessing.

Please can you give me some clarity and let me know where I can source appropriate documentation to enable me to approach my parish/or allay my mothers anguish.

Thank you.

This link should be give you the answer you need. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by this link, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
*]How do EMHCs handle those who can’t receive Communion?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.