Can Angels who are now serving God in Heaven still say no to God and go to Hell?

Can Angels who are now serving god in heaven still say no to god and go to hell ?

No.

(10 characters)

No. An angel gets one chance to choose God or Satan. Once they choose, that’s it, they stay with that choice and don’t get to choose again.

Certainly not. They see God face to face which is incompatible with evil.

NO. Once an angel makes a decision, it is irrevocable. The good angels could no more disobey God than the fallen angels could repent.

On the other hand, we can change our minds countless times during our lives, e.g. what do you wear today.

However, at the moment of death a person’s will becomes fixed like the angels. Thus, a person who dies in the state of mortal sin cannot repent. This is why one should frequently and worthily receive the Sacraments.

From a sudden and unprovided death deliver us O Lord!

Deacon/Priest: For a Christian, painless, blameless, peaceful end to our life and for a good account before the dread judgement seat of Christ, let us beseech the Lord.

People: Grant it, O Lord.

I viewed this question because I did not know the answer and hoped to cure my ignorance (lack of knowledge).

The consensus seems to be angels get to make their decision once and for all.

I would like to know two things. First, what is your source for this information? I do not disbelieve what has been written but would be interested to pursue this topic further. Secondly, did the angels make this decision prior to Creation?

See CCC 392-393 and the scriptural references at footnotes 269-271 , plus the writings of St. John Damascene at footnote 272.

Thank you!

Why would they?

The reason people change their minds a lot on Earth is because our free will is highly imperfect. Inexperience and ignorance means that new information and new life experiences cause us to change our minds and adjust our views on a daily basis.

Angels are supernaturally gifted with knowledge so they don’t suffer from ignorance or inexperience. They have an awesome intuition about truth and about God so they can either reject him in inexcusable arrogance and selfishness or they can be with him and once that is done they don’t change their minds.

Here is a good book to get started. Angels and Demons: What Do We Really Know about Them? by Peter Kreeft

Bl. Agreda goes into it for a chapter or two as well.

4d

I viewed this question because I did not know the answer and hoped to cure my ignorance (lack of knowledge).

The consensus seems to be angels get to make their decision once and for all.

I would like to know two things. First, what is your source for this information? I do not disbelieve what has been written but would be interested to pursue this topic further. Secondly, did the angels make this decision prior to Creation?

The Idea that angels make their choice once and for all comes from the idea of the testing of the angels (something mentioned in the Summa Theologica (or maybe Summa Contra Gentiles)), and the angels having perfect knowledge, were lacking any defect that made them have any error in their judgment, thus the fallen angels sin had complete and total knowledge, was of serious matter, and was done with full consent of the will, rendering no errors for God to use to render the offense forgivable, likewise once in the beatific vision evil can’t be present, so there is no defect to turn them away. (Tradition says that the angels were tested before experiencing the beatific vision). I believe it is Franciscan tradition (or maybe it is Dominican) that the Creation and testing of angels occurred on the first day (the “Let there be Light” given that the sun isn’t created for several more days).

Greetings of peace!
Yes of course they can.satan is a former angel and his name is lucifer he go down the hell because he sinned against God.Now in Catholic Tradition we believe that lucifer, a former general and angel of God became the ruler of hell.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.