Can Animals be Guilty of Sin?

The Bible never says that animals don’t have immortal souls.

No, he can’t sin. Animals don’t have original sin.

No…but had a dog who played checkers…everyone thought he was smart, but he wasnt…i always beat him.:rofl:

I woof, therefore I am.

But having an aquaintance who believes differenty is not a sin, nor is asking what or why they believe what they do…so instead it can be the impetus for evangelization, discipleship, and catechisis.

…well, yes and not!

Animals experience things as we do and can, given their limited capacities, operate within certain organizational skills; but animals do not reason as we do. They do not think of the afterlife; they have not cognition as to death, love, hatred… they do learn to coexist and, in a way, may even be smarter than humans… most dogs from around the world can communicate within their species and can communicate with humans… other then the charlatans that claim to be “whisperers” when was the last time a human learned to speak in the dog’s (or any other animals’) language?

Maran atha!

Angel

…wait, didn’t they bring us taco bell?

Maran atha!

Angel

Only man was Created in His Image and Likeness–He blew the Spirit into man’s nostrils and man became a Living Being.

Maran atha!

Angel

That’s the “feel-good theology” for you–lie like a dog and then be confused why people leave God and the Church.

Maran atha!

Angel

It’s called anthropomorphism–like Jaws, Orca and all those other movies where animals take their revenge on man.

Yes, animals (pets) bite the hand (and children) of those who feed them but only because they want to be to dominant “xyz” in the group and after having humans cater to them on their knees and pick up their pup its only right that they get to sleep on the bed and humans get to the dog/“xyz” house!

Maran atha!

Angel

His Creation!

I fully concur!

…and as the psalms have demonstrated all of Creation Glorifies God–still, only man shares God’s Essence… not even the angels have the Potential to be with God and Know Him as He Is.

Maran atha!

Angel

This is what happens when you title a thread something that’s different from the actual question, I suppose.

We know that animals do react to their environment and that they have the ability to learn things (just check out the monkeys/gorillas that spit on people and launch pup attacks or that fellow that rounded up stones to throw at the visitors…) cognitive reaction is not a sign of self-awareness. Coco, in spite of all of the “Ape” movies, did not breakout and attempted to teach other primates what it learned…

There are stories about dolphins rescuing humans from sharks… but are they doing so because of their hatred for the sharks (sharks feed on dolphins) or because they “feel” for the weak humans caught in deep waters?

Maran atha!

Angel

…yeah, giraffes have long legs and necks and as huggable as they seem they are super heavy and strong, don’t pick a fight with them; oh yeah, and watch out for their tongues, they can lick your face off in one single slobbering move!

Maran atha!

Angel

Blessings
I think that is a little course. I stated what the church believes in my first response. I even defended it. I agreed w an animal lover, I’m not fond of it. I want my animals in heaven w me. Animals are intelligent by commands. They show instinct w dogs in heat and others.My comments in this are not causing anyone to leave the church. I could say what did! But I won’t,
In Christ’s Love
Tweedlealice

I think you must watch the Shaun the Sheep–it is proven that they gamble, steal, over indulge in everything (including wine/beer) and borrow human identities.

Maran atha!

Angel

Blessings
Man is created in God’s image and likeness. Animals were created for our pleasure and need.
God does love all creation. It’s the presence of a soul=intellect and free will, that makes a difference.
No one leaves the church b/c their dog isn’t in heaven…
Blessings
Tweedlealice

Hi, Anna!

…get ready, you may be given a choice between Heaven or not–anthropomorphism allows human to believe that the animals are reciprocal in all aspects including and not limited to “love.”

This has gotten so bad that hollowood terms a child in his/her mom’s womb (and sometimes even a young child) as it while making a big stink about not referring to an animal as “it;” cause that hurts the sensibilities of the animal.

Animals don’t care!

Call a dog joe, jack, wheel, rock, wind, soprano, r2d2 and it will learn to respond to “xyz!”

They can sense things; but they are not capable of human emotions and cognition (the operative term being “human”).

Maran atha!

Angel

…or did you?

…could your dog not have surmised that if it kicked your butt in checkers you could have withheld its food, water and walking privileges and pup service?

Maran atha!

Angel

…hey, when did this thread jumped to sci fi?

Maran atha!

Angel

…now, I meant that little white lies like ‘yeah, dogs go to Heaven’ can cause children/adults to reject God because they actually get attached to the animal so much (basically idolatry); ie: there were some in my family that felt the death of their animal deeper than Mom’s death–their attachment to the animal was obvious, as was their estrangement from Mom… the human heart/mind cared more for an animal than for another human being… this is what is usually passed through such anthropomorphism: animals become as important or more important than other people, life, and perhaps God himself (reread through some of the comments here).

Maran atha!

Angel

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.