Can animals get into Heaven?

If heaven refers to glory, no, since they do not have free will. But see Catechism:

VI THE HOPE OF THE NEW HEAVEN AND THE NEW EARTH

1042 At the end of time, the Kingdom of God will come in its fullness. After the universal judgment, the righteous will reign for ever with Christ, glorified in body and soul. The universe itself will be renewed:

The Church . . . will receive her perfection only in the glory of heaven, when will come the time of the renewal of all things. At that time, together with the human race, the universe itself, which is so closely related to man and which attains its destiny through him, will be perfectly re-established in Christ.631

People are animals.

More like a run.:kissing_cat::scream:

I have read many NDE stories that says yes.There seems to be some kind of special place in Heaven where people are reunited with their beloved pets.

As a scientific classification yep! As a theological classificatino we are immortal souls who are made in the image and likeness of God Himself and our free wills allow us to be with Him forever if we unite our will to His. He also came down to earth as a God, and a Human. Fully God and Fully human, suffered for all humanity and loved all humanity. Yes, I am quite certain He loves His creation too. But they are not Human, they are not His children, his Beloved.

I’ve told this story here before, but my mother, father and niece each heard their newly-deceased dogs in the house a few hours after the dogs had died. My mother heard the dog bark right next to her bed at 10 pm, my father heard the same dog bark loudly right next to the chair he was sitting in about 1 am the same night, but in a different room. My niece heard her dog walking across the hardwood floor after everyone had gone to sleep. She heard the dog’s tag jingle, too.

No one truly knows about the afterlife of animal souls. It’s all speculation until we get there. It’s fun to think about, though.

best answer.
you will find aruments on both sides, simplest answer, the church has not spoken definitively because we just don’t really know. some saints also were inclined to think so, others didn’t. there can also be scriptural support for both sides.

I like to trust God with the fate of their existence. after all, he created them, he loves them even more than we do, so if he chose, he could return the

No matter how much we love fluffy, or bowser, they are absolutely nothing - zip, zero, nada - in comparison with standing in God’s presence. A question to ask is: is God not enough?

No matter how much I loved my dead human friend, a question to ask is: is God not enough? Why should I even care if I see my friend or family member again in Heaven in that case?

Of course God is enough, God is always enough, including here on earth. If I lived my entire life in a solitary confinement cell and never had a loving relationship with any creature on earth that whole time. God would still be enough. But He sends us loving friendships and relationships on earth, including with animals, as a way of showing us His love, and the idea that these earthly experiences just vaporize or cease to matter at all when we join ourselves to God does not seem to take into account the fact that God gave us the gift of the companion in the first place. It’s not an either-or where you choose between your dog and God. God’s love permeated the whole relationship you had with your pet because God created that animal and sent you the gift of its friendship on earth. Whether God allows you to keep experiencing that gift after death or has another plan is up to Him.

I realize many people on here seem to really like the idea of a Heaven where all we do is sit and focus on God all day and no experience, relationship or loving bond we ever had on earth matters any more, but to me and probably to other people reading, that idea of Heaven sounds about as pleasant as a lobotomy, and I also don’t think God means to just erase from our consciousness every bond we had on earth or he would not let us experience such bonds in such a deep and meaningful way.

Not implying any such a forced choice. The trend in our age is to want our pets with us. Could they be there? Sure, but I almost think that desire springs from our materialistic age. An age of neuroses and anxiety. Rather than the commonly referred to heaven on earth, it seems that some long for earth in heaven.

Just saying.

God created the earth, and it was good, so it’s not a bad thing for us to like the best things about it.

It’s also not terribly strange for people to think of Heaven in earthly terms when earth is all they know. We don’t have any other frame of reference. God might or might not choose to reveal a new frame of reference to us after death.

God is going to re-create the earth one day, so if we don’t see all the creatures we love in heaven, we may well see them on the “new earth”.

My goto response to this is: “If you need your pet to be happy, your pet will be in Heaven.”

I don’t personally think they will be, since they don’t have immortal souls.

My hope is that after the general resurrection we won’t so much have pets as we will be able to freely interact will all the creatures of creation. I won’t have a pet cat, but I’l be able to take a walk with a tiger, or something like that. Go swimming with sharks and whales…

The problem is people don’t want to just interact with animals generally. They want their pet specifically. I don’t care so much about running around with wolves (although that would be cool) as I’d like to walk with my dog in the woods on a nice sunny day.

Our family has had too many rather astonishing experiences with pets who have died for me to say anything other than yes to your question.

Tis_Bearself

8h

po18guy:

A question to ask is: is God not enough?

No matter how much I loved my dead human friend, a question to ask is: is God not enough? Why should I even care if I see my friend or family member again in Heaven in that case?

Of course God is enough, God is always enough, including here on earth. If I lived my entire life in a solitary confinement cell and never had a loving relationship with any creature on earth that whole time. God would still be enough. But He sends us loving friendships and relationships on earth, including with animals, as a way of showing us His love, and the idea that these earthly experiences just vaporize or cease to matter at all when we join ourselves to God does not seem to take into account the fact that God gave us the gift of the companion in the first place. It’s not an either-or where you choose between your dog and God. God’s love permeated the whole relationship you had with your pet because God created that animal and sent you the gift of its friendship on earth. Whether God allows you to keep experiencing that gift after death or has another plan is up to Him.

I realize many people on here seem to really like the idea of a Heaven where all we do is sit and focus on God all day and no experience, relationship or loving bond we ever had on earth matters any more, but to me and probably to other people reading, that idea of Heaven sounds about as pleasant as a lobotomy, and I also don’t think God means to just erase from our consciousness every bond we had on earth or he would not let us experience such bonds in such a deep and meaningful way.

Great answer…

Outstanding. I have said the same thing many times.

Yeah, this is on the same level with people who say, “You won’t need your spouse or child specifically in Heaven. We’ll all be united in love of God, so hanging around with some stranger is going to make you just as happy as if you were hanging around with your spouse.”

While this may very well turn out to be true, I’m not knocking myself out to get to Heaven in order to hang out with total strangers. I want to see my parents and my husband again and I think most of us who have lost loved ones feel the same way.

Again, I trust that God is going to provide for all this in ways only He knows.

Sometimes I think we get too attached to the things we will take with us to heaven. We take our earthly comforts and cant imagine heaven without them. But we buy and own animals. We extend to them love. And then we argue over if they can be either us in heaven? It’s weird.

And the One seated on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” Then He said, “Write this down, for these words are faithful and true.”

Revelation 21:5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.