Can animals get into Heaven?

I don’t know, but I do hope to see my beloved childhood dog there. And my cats too.

I agree with Saint Francis of Assissi, who believed animals would be in Heaven, his quote on this is on the lines of: Would God uncreate something He had breathed life into? Certainly not,

Also the New Testament states:
‘ALL OF CREATION is groaning in the birthpangs for the New Heaven and New Earth.’

Book of Isaiah vision of Heaven: animals will no longer eat each other; ‘The lion will lie down with the lamb. The wolf with the oxen.’

Also: there are many accounted visions of heaven mentioning animals and plants there,

Biblical Images of Heaven

Isaiah includes animals in his description of the new heavens and new earth. He describes it as a place where “the wolf and the lamb shall pasture together, and the lion shall eat hay like the ox” (Isaiah 65:25). St. Paul suggests that all of creation which shared in the punishment of corruption caused by sin will also share humanity’s future glory and freedom. It states:

For creation awaits with eager expectation the revelation of the children of God; for creation was made subject to futility, not of its own accord but because of the one who subjected it, in hope that creation itself would be set free from slavery to corruption and share in the glorious freedom of the children of God (Romans 8:19-21).

Accounts of creation both open and end the Bible. Genesis, the first book of the Bible, begins with the story of God’s creation, with Adam and Eve living in a garden, the garden of Eden. God declares creation as “good” and views all of creation as holy. The Bible ends with the account of a new creation. The Book of Revelation describes God’s eternal kingdom in heaven using the images of a new heaven and a new earth (Revelation 21:1-22:5). It is not described as a garden but as a heavenly city in which God dwells among his people in peace and understanding. He is their light and will wipe every tear from their eyes. Like the image of the kingdom of God as a banquet, this image describes heaven as a community of sisters and brothers who live together with God, seeing them in God and God reflected in them.

Pope Francis states that we are all journeying towards the new Jerusalem, our eternal and common home in heaven. He reminds us of Jesus’ declaration, “I will make all things new” (Revelation 21:5). Pope Francis describes the nature of heaven in Laudato Si’. He states:

Eternal life will be a shared experience of awe, in which each creature, resplendently transfigured, will take its rightful place and have something to give those poor men and women who will have been liberated once and for all.

He also mentions that in the end, “the very flowers of the field and the birds which his human eyes contemplated and admired are now imbued with [the Lord’s] radiant presence.” The perfection of the kingdom of God will somehow transform and renew the rest of creation also.

‘One day we will see all our animals again in the Paradise of Christ. Heaven is open to all of God’s creatures.’

Pope Paul VI

Keep in mind that Jesus enjoyed animals and referred to them often in parables and teachings. Sheep and Lambs were usually the prime animals. I remember shortly after my ordination, a retired LPN from Brooklyn approached me before Mass as I was greeting the attendees. She was a cat lover and had several. “Father, will my cats (babies) go to Heaven when they die?” I answered “No” because as several of my comrades on this website pointed out, animals have no souls. I should have said YES they do. I didn’t. However, the battle for and against the cats grew more intense as she produced a cartoon from the local paper. In it, there were clouds and animals of all types with wings flying around Heaven. I was hysterical laughing and told her she had won. I do believe animals are in Heaven as well as here on Earth. How God does this is His business. I suppose the only way we will know for certain is when we get there (please God). BTW, I had Goldfish in a large aquarium. + Lawrence

That’s not Catholic teaching, is it? I thought Catholics recognize that all living things have souls, it’s what makes them alive. It “animates” them. The argument is whether they have souls that outlive their bodies.

My personal thoughts on this is that all living things have souls that are commensurate with the complexity of the type of life-form they are. And the afterlives they have are commensurate with their particular type of soul. Humans are the most complex, and have the most complex souls, and the most complex afterlife. Other animals and plants have their own afterlife in their respective dimensions that usually don’t intersect with our dimension, except as God wills it. Sometimes pets are allowed to come back to say goodbye before they go to the great fire hydrant or litterbox in the sky. :smile:

It’s Catholic teaching that animals do not have souls as humans do.
If they did, then they would have free will, they could sin, they would need redemption, their soul could go to Hell, etc.

Animals don’t have free will, they act according to instinct and don’t sin regardless of what they do.

To the extent they have some kind of a “soul” it’s qualitatively different from a human soul, and most Catholic writers don’t use that word because it creates confusion.

If animals are in heaven, aren’t those we ate going to be a little, um, perturbed over the whole situation?

Your pet will be in heaven if you want it. (But only if you’re there too.)

No more so than the ones that were eaten by other animals finding themselves hanging out together. The lion will be lying down with the lamb.

Because my neighbor has these vicious killer attack dogs who are growling and ready to attack and bite you at any moment.I can’t walk to my back door without their jumping on the fence and showing their sharp teeth and barking horrifically. I would like to get some sleep at night, but their constant loud and vicious barking is keeping me awake and my health is going down. Further, I have to forget completely about riding a bicycle in the neighborhood as dogs come barking and biting my leg and tearing my new pants. I would hate to be in a heaven with these killer attack dogs anywhere nearby. I am scared to death of them. I have to take blood pressure medication to keep calm and bring down the high levels of pressure caused by the fright of these vicious killer dogs.

Well, as I depart, I will say that only God could feed the allosaurs and T-rexes in heaven.

Will I love and pet that Chicken that was so delicious in my Chik Fil A meal yesterday? I mean if I can’t have that chicken in heaven I don’t know what heaven will be like!

And I’d also like to say moo to that cow that is sitting in my fridge waiting for Saturday in lent… Just chillin…

Yeah, right… Come one. There are no T Rexs in heaven! I mean there were no T rexs on this 6000 year old earth right?

Those dogs are not getting into heaven.

The answer is we don’t know. What we do know is God created the animals, and he does indeed take care of them. Our Lord even said so in the Gospel of Matthew.

“Look at the birds of the air: they do not sow, or reap, or gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are not you of much more value than they?” Matthew 6:26, Confraternity Edition.

While we are much more important, God loves the animals too, So maybe, just maybe they are in the Kingdom of Heaven giving glory to Him in their own way. I for one like this question is a mystery to us rather than concrete and answered.

God is God and He can do anything. It is certainly within His power to have animals present in heaven, but our faith focuses on whether our souls attain heaven.

That being said, dogs, being the one animal on earth which has developed in tandem with Mankind, are the likeliest to be present in heaven!:wink:

I am truly sorry that you are in this kind of situation I would think the dogs were trained by their owners to act such a way. When you raise a dog from a pup if they are in a loving environment and treated with kindness they react with love. We have domesticated a variety of animals , dogs being number 1. When I answered the question asked by Lisa, I was going with my own experience with animals.God’s creatures are not meant to be tortured, it sounds as if your neighbors have done exactly that.

“Oh, no! Not again!

:rofl::crazy_face::exploding_head:

My neighbor’s pit bull used to snarl, bark, and try to leap over the fence a time when I first moved in here decades ago.

I started snarly back. He eventually deferred when I came out . . . OK, so he was barking out of his league; he’s just a pit bull, while I’m a Las Vegas lawyer . . .

hawk

Yes. I guess you are right. Perhaps they don’t feed them properly or enough, i don’t know. There are a lot of people who have dogs. I guess they are using them as watchdogs. Anyway, my new pants have been ripped a few times by a dog chasing me and chewing at my leg as I am riding a bicycle.
I agree that there are many wonderful cats and dogs that make great pets and I have nothing against that. Good luck.

I don’t know how stable these pit bulls are. One moment they are calm, peaceful and loving. And the next moment they are snarling and attacking small children.
I know people love their pets and want them in heaven. So be it. The Bible does mention that horses are in heaven. In that case, if all these pets are in heaven, including the dogs, I wonder if they would allow a good person to enter into a limbo with no animals instead of heaven which is supposedly populated by animals, at least according to some of the Roman Catholic posters here. Perhaps in a limbo with no vicious dogs, a person might get some peace and quiet.

It probably varies widely by the animals.

I understand that many are sweet, and protective of children. On the other hand, I know folks who have seen them over protective . . .

The sad fact of the matter is that many people have bred this breed to select for those who will respond to abuse by becoming vicious. It’s now in their genes–or at least a large percentage of them.

This one breed accounts for a strong majority of all of the dog attacks on own family in the US. It needs to have breeding taken away and controlled to breed this trait back out, or eliminated.

My daughters found a pit bull puppy a couple of years ago, tied at the school across the street without water, and suffering. They brought it back to the house to give it shade and water, and it was quite affectionate with them.

But then my son and law and I came around, separately.

It’s immediate reaction to a male was to snarl and stand its ground . . . (I think we checked with a neighbor, too).

We made sure that we didn’t find the owners, and found it a place that it cold live without further abuse . . .

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.