Can any lay person baptize?

Isn’t it true that any Christian baptized in the Church can, in extremis, baptize someone else in danger of dying? I think I remember that from my pre-confirmation classes.

In case of necessity even the unbaptized can with proper intent vlaidly Baptize.

Can. 861 §1 The ordinary minister of baptism is a Bishop, a priest or a deacon, without prejudice to the provision of can. 530, n. 1.

§2 If the ordinary minister is absent or impeded, a catechist or some other person deputed to this office by the local Ordinary, may lawfully confer baptism; indeed, in a case of necessity, any person who has the requisite intention may do so. *Pastors of souls, especially parish priests, are to be diligent in ensuring that Christ’s faithful are taught the correct way to baptise. *.

V. WHO CAN BAPTIZE?
CCC 1256 The ordinary ministers of Baptism are the bishop and priest and, in the Latin Church, also the deacon.57 In case of necessity, anyone, even a non-baptized person, with the required intention, can baptize58 , by using the Trinitarian baptismal formula. The intention required is to will to do what the Church does when she baptizes. The Church finds the reason for this possibility in the universal saving will of God and the necessity of Baptism for salvation.59

In theory, anyone (even the unbaptized) could validly baptize. That was determined by one of the ecumenical councils.

It requires the correct intent (to unite the one baptized with the Church of Christ as expressed in a trinitarian mode), the correct form (pouring or immersion in water, the correct invocation of the trinity), and the correct matter (water).

What in the world do these last few comments about baptism have to do with the old-and-deservedly-sleeping original topic? :confused:

And why do we seem to suddenly have so many old-and-deservedly-sleeping original topics being resurrected here in the EC Section? :shrug:

“Christ is risen!”

“Indeed He is risen!”

“And so is this thread!”

“Indeed it is risen!”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.