Can Anybody Explain Revelation 1:6?

Verse: Revelation 1:6
First, going with the phrase “God and his Father,” I understand well that this means
JESUS (who is God) and his Father (The Father also being God). What I wonder is
on the matter of kings, kingdoms, and priests. What’s up with that?

For everyone’s convenience, I have multiple translations of Revelation 1:6New International Version
and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father–to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.

New Living Translation
He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

English Standard Version
and made us a kingdom, priests to his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

New American Standard Bible
and He has made us to be a kingdom, priests to His God and Father-- to Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

King James Bible
And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
and made us a kingdom, priests to His God and Father–the glory and dominion are His forever and ever. Amen.

International Standard Version
and has made us a kingdom, priests for his God and Father, be glory and power forever and ever! Amen.

NET Bible
and has appointed us as a kingdom, as priests serving his God and Father–to him be the glory and the power for ever and ever! Amen.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
And he has made us The Priestly Kingdom to God and his Father; to him be glory and Empire to the eternity of eternities. Amen.

GOD’S WORD® Translation
and has made us a kingdom, priests for God his Father. Amen.

Jubilee Bible 2000
and has made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

King James 2000 Bible
And has made us a kingdom and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

American King James Version
And has made us kings and priests to God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

American Standard Version
and he made us to be a kingdom, to be priests unto his God and Father; to him be the glory and the dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And hath made us a kingdom, and priests to God and his Father, to him be glory and empire for ever and ever. Amen.

Darby Bible Translation
and made us a kingdom, priests to his God and Father: to him be the glory and the might to the ages of ages. Amen.

English Revised Version
and he made us to be a kingdom, to be priests unto his God and Father; to him be the glory and the dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Webster’s Bible Translation
And hath made us kings and priests to God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Weymouth New Testament
and has formed us into a Kingdom, to be priests to God, His Father–to Him be ascribed the glory and the power until the Ages of the Ages. Amen.

World English Bible
and he made us to be a Kingdom, priests to his God and Father; to him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

Young’s Literal Translation
and did make us kings and priests to his God and Father, to him is the glory and the power to the ages of the ages! Amen.
What’s with that first part of
Revelation 1:6? Is that now,
is that later, and what does
it actually mean for us?

With out making to much of it, maybe Peter can clear it up a little:

1Pt:1:3: **Blessed be the God and Father **of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

Now Peter walked with the Lord in the flesh, so I’d say he knows what he is talking about.

As far as the now question, the seven churches existed during the time that John wrote the messages from the Lord to them. The rest of the text has been grieved over and gleaned for centuries and it doesn’t seem that anyone is closer to a complete understanding of it. There are many books on the subject, but a converted rabbi once said something that made sense in these matters. When it comes to prophecy in the bible no one really understands how its fulfilled until it is fulfilled.

Also see CCC 1546.

Oh, is it “his God and Father”, not “God and his Father”?

Thank you also for the Catechism’s teaching on that. :slight_smile:

I am familiar with the older (archaic) language translations, and the one part I THINK I understand is that He has made us a “nation of priests”, may refer to the Body of the Church, i.e., we are all to be “priests” to our God. Not all are to be ordained in the Church, (such as myself, being a woman), but to be as an “assistant” to the priests, in the Old Testament Jewish sense of “assisting” at the Altar of the Lord. To be a nation which prays and glorifies and advances the causes of our Lord and God. Does this make more sense?

I never had any real problems with Revelation, because it hasn’t happened yet, as far as I can see, since at the end of Revelation, it speaks of the Second Coming of Christ, and therefore is still a prophecy and not yet understood. Later, we will understand it fully. Right now, a lot of Revelation is still a mystery. I love to read that Book of the Scriptures, and often wonder how exactly these things will come about, but for the most part, don’t discuss my ideas of how things will happen on what they mean, since I’m probably wrong, anyway. I find it fascinating to read though!

There is a Royal Priesthood and a Ministerial Priesthood. The Royal Priesthood is everyone that is baptized as St. Peter describes in his epistle. The Ministerial Priesthood is that of those called to holy orders.

D-R Bible, Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 4-6. John to the seven churches,[1] afterwards named; and by them, to be understood of all churches, bishops, and people in the like dispositions. — From him, who is, who was, and who is to come. As these words are only applied, and applicable to him, who is truly God and eternal, Alcazar (p. 176) applies them to God the Father. Others think them to be spoken of God, as the word God agrees to all the three divine persons, who are one and the same God. See Ribera. — And from the seven spirits. Alcazar understands them of seven of God’s attributes, or perfections, but, by the common exposition, are meant seven of the chief created spirits, who in a special manner assist at the throne of God, employed to execute God’s commands, as Raphael saith, (Tobit. xii. 15.) I am one of the seven who stand before God. (Witham) — Spirits, &c. Some understand this of the Holy Ghost, on account of his seven gifts; but the most literal interpretation is of the principal Angels, who always surround the throne of God, and are his ministering spirits. (Calmet) — And from Jesus Christ,[2] made man, and the Redeemer of mankind, whom St. John here names after the seven spirits, because he continues his discourse about Christ, who is the faithful witness; testified and approved of God by so many miracles, prophecies, &c. He is the chief of the martyrs or witnesses, as the Greek word signifies. — The first begotten of the dead, both first in dignity, and first that rose to an immortal life. — The prince of the kings of the earth, whose power is infinitely greater than all theirs; and this to put the suffering Christians in mind, that they needed not to fear the persecuting emperors, who have no power after this life. — And Christ hath made us a kingdom, inasmuch as by his grace he has made us members of his true Church, called the kingdom of God, and promised us to reign with him in his glorious kingdom in heaven. — And hath made us priests to God, and his Father, to offer up spiritual sacrifices. See 1 Peter ii. 9. — To him be, or is due, glory and empire, for ever and ever. Amen. That is, to Jesus Christ. (Witham)

This is really interesting everyone, thanks!

What? No RSV???

Slacker. :stuck_out_tongue:

-Tim-

Seriously…

Prior to the worship of the golden calf at Mt. Sinai, every male head of household was priest of his own house. Every male head of household was able to offer sacrifice and atone for the sin of his family. Note that the male head of each household sacrificed the lamb at the first passover. They were able to sacrifice because every male head of household was a priest. Abraham offered sacrifice as did Noah.

Because they worshiped the golden calf however, God took the common priesthood away from the common man and gave it to Levites - the members of the tribe of Levi who alone were faithful to God and refused to worship the idol. From that moment on, the common man was no longer a priest but had to go to a Levite for sacrifice and atonement. The common priesthood was taken away.

Christ restored the common, or as another put it, royal priesthood. We can pray to God for forgiveness of venial sins - sins of omission, mistakes - and God will forgive us. We can give alms and do other good works which scripture tells us atones for sins. For sins that violate the covenant however - grave, deliberate sins - we still have to go to a ministerial priest.

*The writings of the popes and the councils are very firm on saying that ordinary Christians share a common priesthood. We are all priests who can offer intercessions, praises, and spiritual sacrifices.

-Tim-

THEY DIDN’T HAVE RSV, GET OFF MY BACK! :rotfl:

[RIGHT](I hope the rotfl smiley
expresses accurately
the way that was said)
[/RIGHT]

In ch. 5 of the Apocalypse we see the lamb taking the scroll from the one seated on the throne and the four living creatures and the 24 elders sing something which I think will make more clear your doubts:

And they sing a new song saying: 
           Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals,
           because you were slain 
           and **with your blood** you bought people for God 
           from every tribe and tongue and race and nation, 
           **and made them a kingdom and priests for our God 
           and they shall reign on the earth**.

The **‘they shall reign on the earth’ **refers to the millennium kingdom which IS NOW IN THE CHURCH!

In the love of His Revelation,

Gloria

1 Peter 2:9-10

But you are a chosen generation, a kingly priesthood, a holy nation, a purchased people – that you may declare his virtues, who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.