Can anyone accurately translate the Papal Urbi et Orbi Blessing from Latin?

I was ondering if anyone could give an accurate translation of the Papal Urbi et Orbi Blessing:

Sancti apostoli Petrus et Paulus decorum potestate auctoritate cum fidimus ipsi intercedam pro nobis ad Dominum. Amen.

Precibus et meritis Beatæ Maria semper virginis, Beati Michaelis Archangeli, Beati Ioannis Baptistæ, Sanctorum Apostolorum Petroi et Pauli et omnium sanctorum. Misereatur vestri omnipotens Deus, et dimissis omnibus peccatis vestris, perducat vos Iesus Christus ad vitam æternam. Amen.

Indulgentiam, absolutionem, et remissionem omnium peccatorum vestrorum spatium vere, et fructorum penitentiæ cor semper venitens, et emundationem vitæ gratiam, et consulationem Sancte Spiritus et finalem per severantiam in bonis operibus tribuat vobis omnipotens et misericors Dominus. Amen.

Et benedictio Dei omnipotentis: Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti descendat super vos et maneat per semper.* Amen.*

I know what the last part means, but as for the rest, I only get variations of translations. I want to know the most accurate and correct translation. Thanks in advance.

That’s not “Louie, Louie”, is it?

NotWorthy

Was it given by JPII or by Benedict XVI, and when? I searched the recent documents on the Vatican website and didn’t find this particular Urbi et Orbi blessing. I did find others.

My Latin is pretty poor, so take this for what it’s worth…
**Sancti apostoli Petrus et Paulus decorum potestate auctoritate cum fidimus ipsi intercedam pro nobis ad Dominum.****Amen.

*Holy apostles Peter and Paul, glorious heads of authority with faith interceeding for us to God. Amen.

**Precibus et meritis Beatæ Maria semper virginis, Beati Michaelis Archangeli, Beati Ioannis Baptistæ, Sanctorum Apostolorum Petroi et Pauli et omnium sanctorum. Misereatur vestri omnipotens Deus, et dimissis omnibus peccatis vestris, perducat vos Iesus Christus ad vitam æternam. ***Amen.

*Receive/Invite(?) the merits of the Blessed Mary, ever virgin, Archangel Michael, John the Baptist, the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul and all of the saints. May Almighty God have mercy on us, and forgive all our sins, and bring us to Jesus Christ in life eternal. Amen.

Indulgentiam, absolutionem, et remissionem omnium peccatorum vestrorum spatium vere, et fructorum penitentiæ cor semper venitens, et emundationem vitæ gratiam, et consulationem Sancte Spiritus et finalem per severantiam in bonis operibus tribuat vobis omnipotens et misericors Dominus. Amen.

Indulgence, absolution, and remission of all sins under space …and right about here it gets fuzzy for me… penitence… life… consolation of the Holy Spirit…Almighty and Merciful God. Amen.

*Et benedictio Dei omnipotentis: Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti descendat super vos et maneat per semper. Amen.

***And may the blessing of Almighty God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, descend upon these creatures and remain forever. Amen.

Sorry so shoddy; hopefully someone else can give you a better answer. As my old Captain used to say, “A 80% solution now is better than a 100% solution when it’s too late!”

May God bless you and keep you,
RyanL

I am not sure where your source is for what you got, but I can’t find it in any of the Urbi et Orbi blessings since 1978

vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/messages/urbi/

I don’t think there is a formulary set out for the blessing. Urbi et Orbi means to the city and to the world, and that is where the blessing is aimed for.

Could you post the source of where you found these short prayers?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.