Can anyone give me more info on the "Paraman"?

I visited the “Aid to the Church In Need” website and later started browsing their online gift shop when I came across the “Paraman” medallions. I have never heard of this before so I would greatly appreciate it if someone could enlighten me as to the history and significance of the “Paraman”.

The link below is to the page of the Aid to the Church in need online store where I came across the Paraman and it gives a brief description of it.

esvc000174.wic001ss.server-shop.com/store/viewItem.shop?idProduct=64

http://esvc000174.wic001ss.server-shop.com/images/Paraman%20Madonna%20and%20child%20_39f7b9c6daa423b4.JPG

<<<**Holy leather medallions hand made by Studite monks in Ukraine to support their community.

The word paraman originally and strictly referred to a monastic “scapular” in the Byzantine Church. It was rectangular and made of cloth and only worn by monks. The sole motive on the paramans was a depiction of the cross.

The paraman pictured is a modern version of the old type of monastic scapular where the motives are more varied (Jesus, Mary, the Cross) and they are "pressed’ into the leather**.>>>

Thanks and God bless. :smiley:

Seems a stretch to try and relate a leather icon medallion to the monastic paraman. I’ve seen those sold before but only as a “leather icon medallion”.

I guess the best description here of the paraman is a “scapular” in paraman style. The scapular as such is known in Ukrainian Catholicism and propagated by some religious. Here is a history of the Studite Monastic Order in the Ukrainian Catholic Church, the monks who produce the paraman advertised.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studite_Brethren

The term “paraman” in Ukrainian wikipedia notes in contemporary use “paraman” can be used for scapular as well.
uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9F%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%BC%D0%B0%D0%BD
I know Ukrainian priests who wear the scapular and it seems the Studites also work on making them in this “paraman” style if you will, from what I can quickly look up. Hope this helps.

It doesn’t seem right to call it a paraman.

Yes, it helps greatly. Thank you very much. God bless :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.