Can anyone have the gift of tongues?

Okay, so I went to a charismatic Catholic service with one of my good friends. Now at the end of the service (which to my surprise was fairly orthodox, only thing that was different was after the mass with the laying on of hands. No funky music or anything like that, and the people seemed very devout). Anyway, one of my friend's mentors came up to me and asked if i wanted to receive the gift of tongues.

Now I was a little shocked. I do believe some people can have these gifts, but I was under the impression they were gifts from God and that not everyone could speak in tongues. So can anyone speak in tongues, or is it a gift that is only given to certain people?

Sticky: Moratorium on charismatic threads: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=697038

[LEFT]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/corona_stellarum/Smilies/closed-1.gif
What is talking in tongues?
[/LEFT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.