Can anyone help me identify a painting?

I am looking for information on a painting I saw several years ago. This painting has stuck in my mind as so beautiful but I just can’t seem to find anything about it using various searches.

Maybe someone on the forums might know something on it such as a name, artist, and even better where I might buy a print of it.

The painting was our Lord sitting on a hill - probably in the garden of Gethsemane. He is praying under a full moon and in the distance is Jerusalem. This isn’t the famous painting by Heinrich Hoffman but it is similar. The unique thing about it was Christ sitting on the hill with Jerusalem in the distance under the moonlight. So peaceful and inspiring prayer. I don’t think this was just a one of a kind item as I remember it looked like a reproduction print.

Anyone seen this who might have some info? Thanks!

turnbacktogod.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/jesus-christ-praying-in-the-garden-of-gethsemene.jpg
Is that it? Try doing a google image search on “Christ praying”. There are quite a few pages but many of them seem to be of Christ at Gethsemane.

Thanks Treeleaf for your suggestion. I have already tried your search suggestion with no success.

The link you sent is similar but not quite the same. This one was really much darker as if late at night with just the moonlight and the lights of Jerusalem in the distance. Also our Lord was sitting more on a hillside.

I did however find a painting that looks the same but is a more amateur painters version of it.

fineartamerica.com/images-medium/1-jesus-praying-terri-flowers.jpg

I like this one myself.
[ATTACH]6044[/ATTACH]

That is a really nice one, too Slyboots. I just really felt drawn to this particular picture of our Lord praying under the moon and stars as he looked out over Jerusalem like a shepherd keeps watch to protect his sheep from midnight marauders.

Wow! A beautiful painting like that would be stuck in my head and strike my heart indeed.

I will Pray to St. Anthony so you will find the painting and if you do I hope you share it…

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.
Christ have mercy. Christ have mercy.
Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

For those of us who have lost…
our health, St. Anthony, pray for us.
our peace of mind, St. Anthony, pray for us.
our housing, St. Anthony, pray for us.
our financial security, St. Anthony, pray for us.
a loved one, St. Anthony, pray for us.
our dreams, St. Anthony, pray for us.
our talents, St. Anthony, pray for us.
our initial zeal, St. Anthony, pray for us.
our sobriety, St. Anthony, pray for us.
our faith, St. Anthony, pray for us.
our self-respect, St. Anthony, pray for us.
our perspective, St. Anthony, pray for us.
our innocence, St. Anthony, pray for us.
our independence, St. Anthony, pray for us.
peace within our families, St. Anthony, pray for us.
civil peace, St. Anthony, pray for us.
our trust in others, St. Anthony, pray for us.
our virtue, St. Anthony, pray for us.
our home, St. Anthony, pray for us.
(add your own personal intention),for StAlph to find the beautiful painting of Our Lord. St. Anthony, pray for us.

Lamb of God, You take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.

Let us pray: All loving God, You have given us St. Anthony, the patron of the lost, as an intercessor of those who are in need of your mercy. Listen to his voice as he calls out to You on our behalf, and grant those things which will help us grow in Your love. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen

Thank you, Goforgoal! I should have thought of the St Anthony prayer. I am praying with you.

I did remember one other detail. I think that I saw this painting in the retreat center at Marytown in Libertyville, IL when I was there for a retreat. Anyone near Marytown or a frequent visitor?

These are similar to what you’ve described:
family.webshots.com/photo/2265376840015114614JJVDnY
marysrosaries.com/shared_pictures/religious/events/full/Jesus_weeps_Jerusalem_01.jpg

nkbeth

Is this it below? I typed “Jesus looking over Jerusalem” on Google and this is what I got. It seems pretty close to the amateur painting in the example you posted. The painting below is an old copy that belonged to someone who passed away and is being sold at the site below. There’s only one copy left.

etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=15100611

I wish you luck in finding the painting should this one not be the painting you are looking for. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much, nkbeth and DeusVeritas for your help. Nkbeth’s link was very close but in searching around that website I did find a close up detail of Christ in the painting as I remember it. This seems to be just a part of the whole painting but is pretty close. Maybe I can email the poster and see if they know more about it.

family.webshots.com/photo/2613591920015114614iTAHik

After much searching and Goforgoal’s prayers to St Anthony, I have finally found the painting! Here it is:
holyfamilyenterprise.com/imageDisplay.jsp?productId=194

Many thanks to those who helped in my search with suggestions and prayers. Let me know what you think of it.

I am very happy for you that you found your painting. :thumbsup:

The link that you gave automatically takes my browser back to the main page. Which page under the link for “Jesus” is the page with the painting? I ask since there are over 15 pages under the link for “Jesus”.

Congrats again. :smiley:

Sorry about the link problem. Here is the picture itself. I should have just put it in the post to begin with. Thanks for your patience.

[ATTACH]6077[/ATTACH]

I’m glad you found it! It is very nice indeed.

I’m curious (if you don’t mind my asking) how did you find it? E.g. did someone point it out to you or did you find it on the web yourself (and how)? The forum linked to in my signature is supposed to be about how to search for things like this on the web.

It was simply an answer to prayer! I happened to be browsing a thread on Mary Undoer of Knots and it led to a site that sold framed prints. I was looking at them and found the painting! Thanks St Anthony!!

I am really curious about your webcomber site. I am going to take a look.

I think I need to add a thread to webcombers called “Praying to St. Anthony…”!

The forum is not very developed or populated, but you are welcome to look at it! Maybe the post most related to CAF is
Board index ‹ Help me search the web ‹ Search Stories! < Search Stories: for Thanks be to God.

Praise the Lord for our friend St. Anthony. I’m glad you were able to find the picture you were looking for and what a lovely picture it is. Thank you very much for sharing and for the link.

God bless,
goforgoal

Hi StAlph. Thanks for the search you did on this painting. I happened to be looking for this painting on the net also, and when I read your description of it I knew immediately you were referring to the same painting. It is a beautiful painting. Looking at it calms me. It is peaceful. It is also a painting my mother has had on her wall in her bedroom since I was a child, and it is still there, as far as I am aware. I will have to look at it more closely, maybe on the reverse it has the name of the painting and the artist. If it does I will post the details on this site so that you have it.

Joseph

I am sorry for bringing this subject again to discussion, but I am afraid that you identified the wrong portrait as beeing the one you were looking for. I am 55 years old and, like you, I also remember that portrait hanged up on the wall of my parents dinning room. And what I remember most, is that inspired tranquility, but the BLUE cape, also, and the position of Jesus at right.
I search for Heirich Hofmann portraits and (denying the portrait you presented from the link you posted as beeing a portrait made by him) I found NO such a portrait of Jesus.
I beg you to try these links:
curezone.com/ig/i.asp?i=24504
i.pbase.com/g6/14/623614/2/71851742.AHXHYn8N.jpg
This is the ONE I remember from my childhood. Who is its author?
Maybe an e-mail can solve the problem. Or not. XD

God bless you all.

[quote="StAlph, post:13, topic:158996"]
Sorry about the link problem. Here is the picture itself. I should have just put it in the post to begin with. Thanks for your patience.

[ATTACH]6077[/ATTACH]

[/quote]

I found it! Painter: Joel Giovanni (country? I dont know... yet)

look at these links:
picassomio.com/giovanni-poster-artist.html?artistUrl=giovanni
amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=Christus+am+Olberg

Enjoy it!

God bless you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.