Can anyone identify this Church wall painting?

Hello,

The snapshot below is of a wall painting located above a side altar at St. Joseph Church in Shelton, CT. It depicts Our Lord Jesus as the Divine Physician (I believe) and Our Lady at the bedside of an apparently dying man. I assume that this wall painting is a reproduction of some well-known painting.

Can anyone identify the name of the painting as well as the artist?

Thank you and God bless you,
Ricardus

http://forums.catholic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4694&stc=1&d=1228840754

I cannot see the snapshot that contains the painting.

Use the “Insert Image” icon (looks like a little yellow postcard with mountains) to insert a picture from a website.

I’m guessing that you don’t have the Show Images option enabled in your member profile options.

I’ll attach the image here with this reply. You can click it to see a larger image of it. [ATTACH]4695[/ATTACH]

If you want to enable Show Images for the future, from the forum menu, go to Profile > Edit Options > Thread Display Options section > select Show Images checkbox.

Thanks.

My profile does have “Show Images” checked, but the image still did not show up in your original post. :confused:

Since you seem to know more than I do about this, is there any way to insert into a post an image that is NOT from a website (e.g., a digital picture of my own)? I haven’t figured that one out yet. Thanks!

To answer your original question: since it is in a church dedicated to Saint Joseph, I am fairly certain it is a picture of Saint Joseph on his death bed. Saint Joseph is known as the “patron of a happy death,” and we pray to him for all those who are in danger of death, because we assume he died as we would all want to die: in the company of Jesus and Mary, as depicted in the image in question.

I don’t know who the artist is. Here are some other artists’ renditions of the same theme: altavista.com/image/results?itag=ody&q=%22death+of+st+joseph%22&mik=photo&mik=graphic&mip=all&mis=all&miwxh=all

Here are some more: altavista.com/image/results?itag=ody&q=%22death+of+saint+joseph%22&mik=photo&mik=graphic&mip=all&mis=all&miwxh=all

Well, this was my first attempt at inserting or attaching an image, so please don’t go by my expertise by any means. :slight_smile: But having said that, what I did when I was stumped by the dialog box asking for a URL, was to go to the Manage Attachments button, click it, and in the popup window I clicked on the hyperlink to the file I had attached. The image was then displayed in a new window in my browser, with its own new URL. So, I figured I’d give it a try and use that URL. I’m not sure whether this is the correct way. Just out of curiosity, can you see the image in my second post?

Thanks for trying!

Yes, it did show up in your second attempt. And thanks for the explanation.

These are lovely! I learned something today - thank you for posting this! :slight_smile:

~Liza

What a beautiful image. Our Lord and Our Lady, at the side of a sick (or dying) man’s bed. It could be any of us… at any time.

I’d like to hold this image in my mind. It is so comforting. Thank you for posting it.

Thank you, you are so right, the Death of St. Joseph! Of course, I feel sheepish now for even asking about the title of the painting. And thank you also for providing those links to other artists’ renditions of this holy moment. They are beautiful.

God bless you,
Ricardus

You are most welcome. I feel the same way about this beautiful painting.

My husband and I lived in Shelton for about a year (in the mid-1980’s). I must have been in that church once or twice, although I don’t specifically remember it. Small world!

Yes, definitely a small world. You’ll be glad to know that St. Joseph’s is still a very thriving parish. This Friday evening they will have a special Spanish language Mass and procession in honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Downtown Shelton hasn’t changed too much from what you probably remember of it, but you and your husband would be quite surprised at how much Bridgeport Ave. has changed. It’s getting so built up now with retail stores, mini shopping centers, and restaurant chains, that parts of it almost seem like the Post Rd. (US1)!

Take care and God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.