Can anyone really go straight to heaven?

It seems that purgatory would be necessary for everyone, since we all have some attachment to sin.

Is anyone really fit for heaven in his/her current state?

Hi! That was one of the first questions I asked after I joined this forum. The post generated quite a lot of replies. I think you may find it helpful:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=143541&highlight=scarlettstara

At least one person did (the guilty criminal on the cross next to Jesus):

Jesus answered him, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.”(Luke 23:43)St. Paul indicates that the word paradise can mean heaven:

And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows— was caught up to paradise. He heard inexpressible things, things that man is not permitted to tell. I will boast about a man like that, but I will not boast about myself, except about my weaknesses.(2 Corinthians 12:3-5)Most scholars believe St. Paul to mean heaven when he uses the same word paradise in this passage.

I imagine there are many others who have gone to heaven upon birth, as well. I would not advise someone to wait to make a u-turn in the road of her life as death often surprises those who fall victim to it. I would say it is possible to repent and commit oneself to Jesus one’s death bed. I’m not sure what the teaching of the Catholic church is on this, however.

Purgatory is not necessary for Baptist

For in those who are born again God hates nothing, because there is no condemnation to those who are truly buried together with Christ by baptism unto death, who walk not according to the flesh, but, putting off the old man and putting on the new one who is created according to God, are made innocent, immaculate, pure, guiltless and beloved of God, heirs indeed of God, joint heirs with Christ; so that **there is nothing whatever to hinder their entrance into heaven.
Council of Trent, Session 5, Canon 5

A few weeks ago you were almost convinced of Catholicism, and now you’re just trolling in this thread and others. What gives?

Jeremy

I still have not found enough evidence that what the Catholic Church teaches is correct and what the Baptists teach is not.

As mentioned before… Purgatory is a very biblical principle…

If you believe that we are cleansed with his blood, covered in a white rob, hid in Christ… then you believe in Purgatory… It is simply the last time these things must happen as we enter heaven.

Does it hurt? Dunno… it may, may not
How long does it take? Dunno… may be instant, may not…

Purgatory is not a place but a process. Much like being in Labor is not a place but a process…

Can someone go strait to heaven? Sure… if they die with no stain of sin… they don’t need to be cleansed.

Hope that helps:tiphat:

In Christ

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.